How Can I Support My Child?
There are many ways you can support your child after a diabetes diagnosis. Here are different ways you can help:
- Allow your child to express his feelings or experiences openly and in healthy ways. Your child will show his feelings when he is ready. There is no right time or way to express them.
- Make sure you get proper support for yourself. When you feel supported, you are better able to support your child. You can find support in your family, the care team or loved ones you trust.
- Set a good example for your child. Children are more likely to copy behavior they see in adults they trust and spend time with.
- Reassure your child that diabetes is not their fault. Depending on age, your child might see a diabetes diagnosis as punishment or blame for something they did. Living with diabetes means living a new way of life. In living that new way of life, there are big and small changes that your care team can help you make.
- Remind your child that it might be difficult, but they have the strength needed to overcome any challenges. Remind yourself that you have this strength too.