What Can I Do to Prevent Type 2 Diabetes?
The most important thing you can do to prevent diabetes is to keep a healthy BMI (body mass index) through a healthy diet and exercise. You can follow these tips:
Diet and Nutrition
- Eat a healthy diet with lots of vegetables, whole grains and fruits. If you cannot find fresh fruits and vegetables, you can eat them canned or frozen in water or 100% juice (not syrup). Canned or frozen fruits and vegetables are just as healthy and tasty as fresh ones.
- Choose grilled, broiled or baked foods. These foods can help you feel fuller for longer. They can also help you keep a healthy weight.
- Keep healthy snacks with you. This can include fruits, veggie sticks, a handful of dry-roasted or raw nuts and whole grain crackers with hummus or low-fat dip.
- Drink water or low-fat milk more often than soda, sweetened drinks and fruit juice (including 100% fruit juice).
- Get moving! Exercise, play a sport or play outside for at least 30 minutes (half an hour) 5-6 days a week. You can spread out the 30 minutes throughout the day if that works better for you.
- Get enough sleep. Sleep helps you in many ways, including keeping a healthy weight and feeling rested for the next day.
Why is exercise important for me?
Exercise is important for your health now and in the future for many reasons:
- Keeps you at a healthy weight and lowers body fat
- Builds muscle
- Helps you sleep better
- Improves coordination and focus in sports
- Helps you pay more attention in school
- Helps boost your self confidence
For the future
- Lowers risk for serious health concerns, like obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure
- Builds strong bones
- Helps develop lifelong healthy habits so you grow up as healthy, strong and confident as possible
- Manages your weight as you grow up