Doctors are currently learning more about PMIS, a rare, but serious inflammatory condition. It can be seen in a small number of children who either had COVID-19 or were exposed to it.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Mass General Hospital for Children at Newton Wellesley Hospital
6 South - Pediatric Sub-specialty Clinic
2014 Washington Street
Newton, MA 02462
Mass General Hospital for Children - Braintree
340 Wood Road
Braintree, MA 02184
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Boston Children's Hospital
- Fellowship, Boston Children's Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Pediatric Cardiology, American Board of Pediatrics
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
My body of health services research includes examination of patient risk factors for adverse clinical events such as inpatient mortality, complications, and diagnostic error. I have published in this area and have received multiple grants for my work. This work in many ways was my field’s first systematic attempt in examining unwanted patient events such as complications following congenital heart surgery. This work lead to my being included as part of an international surgical society to help define and create the taxonomy for congenital heart centers to use to track complications in this patient population. I also developed the first taxonomy for categorizing diagnostic errors in the echocardiography assessment of congenital heart disease. This work has lead to multiple successful grant applications and my inclusion in national cardiology societies including the American Society of Echocardiography and the American College of Cardiology working groups in quality to help define quality in diagnostic cardiac imaging for the field.
- Benavidez O, Gauvreau K, del Nido P, Bacha E, Jenkins K. Complications and risk factors for mortality during congenital heart surgery admissions. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2007
- Benavidez O, Gauvreau K, Jenkins KJ, Geva T. Diagnostic errors in pediatric echocardiography: Development of taxonomy and identification of risk factors.Circulation. 2008
- Flannery LD, Fahed AC, DeFaria Yeh D, Youniss MA, Barinsky GL, Stefanescu Schmidt AC, Benavidez OJ, Meigs JB, Bhatt AB. Frequency of Guideline-Based Statin Therapy in Adults With Congenital Heart Disease. Am J Cardiol. 2017 Nov 23
- Kim Y. Gauvreau K, Bacha E, Landzberg M, Benavidez, O. Resource Use Among Adult Congenital Heart Surgery Admissions in Pediatric Hospitals: Risk Factors for High Resource Utilization and Association with Inpatient Death. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes 2011