Rachel Whooten, MD
Rachel Whooten, MD
Instructor of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School
Assistant in Pediatrics, Massachusetts General Hospital
Associate Program Director, Fellowship Training Program
Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-2909
About Rachel Whooten, MD
Dr. Rachel Whooten is an attending Pediatric Endocrinologist at Massachusetts General Hospital for Children. She grew up in Pennington, NJ, and attended Williams College in Williamstown, MA, where she obtained a bachelor of arts in Psychology with a concentration in Neuroscience. She went on to obtain her medical degree from Boston University School of Medicine in Boston, MA. She completed her pediatric residency at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital in San Francisco, California. Dr. Whooten completed her fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology at Massachusetts General Hospital for Children.
While in college, Dr. Whooten became interested in childhood obesity prevention through school-based initiatives. She continued this interest throughout residency, examining physical activity policy in childcare facilities as well as during fellowship, examining the impact of before school physical activity program on child health and wellness. During her fellowship, Dr. Whooten completed her Masters in Public Health at Harvard Chan School of Public Health as well a joint fellowship through the Harvard Pediatric Health Services Research Fellowship and the Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Her research focuses on community-based strategies for increasing the adoption of healthy lifestyle behaviors.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
- Diabetes mellitus type 1
- Diabetes mellitus type 2
- Obesity prevention and treatment
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Thyroid and adrenal disorders
Mass General for Children: Pediatric Endocrine Program and Diabetes Center
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Boston University School of Medicine
- Residency, UC San Francisco
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Pediatric Endocrinology, American Board of Pediatrics
- Pediatrics, American Board of Pediatrics
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Whooten R, Kerem L, Stanley T. Physical activity in adolescents and children and relationship to metabolic health. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2019 Feb;26(1):25-31.
Whooten RC, Perkins ME, Gerber MW, Taveras EM. Effects of Before School Physical Activity on Obesity Prevention and Wellness. Am J Prev Med. 2018 Apr;54(4):510-518.
Whooten R, Schmitt J, Schwartz A. Endocrine manifestations of Down Syndrome. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes; 2018 Feb;25(1):61-66.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings