Your child is scheduled for an endoscopy in the Pediatric Endoscopy Suite at Massachusetts General Hospital 55 Fruit St Boston, MA 02114. The date of the procedure is: _______________
Please come to the GRAY Building, 4th Floor at: (1 hour before the procedure) _______________
Please note: All patients are required to have a PCR COVID-19 test 3 days before their procedure.
The procedure begins at: ___________________
Once you’ve arrived in the Fruit Street Garage, please call Pediatric Endoscopy at 857-238-7344 and let them know you’ve arrived. They will let you know if they’re running on schedule and when you should go up to Pediatric Endoscopy on the 4th floor of the Gray building.
Please note that arrival time can change due to cancellations or emergencies. If time is changed, you will be notified the day prior to the procedure.
What you need to do before you start the prepare for the procedure
- Call 866-211-6588 to update your registration (if not done within 6 months)
- Be sure you have an insurance referral, if required by your insurance company. Please contact your insurance to be sure Mass General is in-network with your policy and if you require authorization for your procedure.
On the day of the procedure
In preparation for the endoscopy, your child may have milk and solid foods until 11:00 p.m. the night before. After that, they may have clear liquids ONLY until 2 hours before the arrival time (on the day of the procedure). After that time, they cannot have anything else by mouth. Please call your doctor’s office to make a 2-week follow-up after procedure.
NO DRINKS WITH RED DYES
The following items can be included on a clear liquid diet:
- Ginger ale
- Popsicles® (not red)
- Apple and white grape juice
- Electrolyte replacement drinks such as Pedialyte®, Ricelyte® or generic brand
Not acceptable: Jell-O® and chicken broth
- If the patient is under 18, they will need to be accompanied by a parent. If the patient is over 18, they will need to be accompanied by someone when leaving procedure.
- If the patient is female and menarchal (has already had their first period), they will have a pregnancy test before anesthesia or procedural sedation. Typically, this is a urine test.
If your child has trouble with this preparation, or if you have any questions, please call 617-643-5252.
After 5:00 p.m., call 617-726-8705, and have the Pediatric Gastroenterologist FELLOW paged. If you have questions regarding medication, please call the nurses at 857-238-7351.
Please do not bring additional children with you to the Endoscopy Unit for this scheduled procedure. The area has limited space and we strive to maintain privacy for all our patients and their families. We welcome your assistance in your child’s care prior to and after the procedure which may require your complete attention. Children under age 13 cannot be left unattended in the waiting room.
Rev. 4/2022. MassGeneral for Children and Massachusetts General Hospital do not endorse any of the brands listed on this handout. This handout is intended to provide health information so that you can be better informed. It is not a substitute for medical advice and should not be used to treat any medical conditions.