How do doctors diagnose fatty liver disease?
Doctors diagnose fatty liver disease through different tests. It is important to diagnose fatty liver disease as early as possible.
- Review of your child’s medical history
- A physical exam
- Review of your child’s risk factors for developing the condition
- Blood tests
- Imaging tests, such as an X-ray or MRI
- Liver biopsy (when doctors use a small needle to test a small piece of your child’s liver)
How do doctors treat fatty liver disease?
The goal of any fatty liver treatment is to lower the amount of extra fat in the liver. The doctor will talk with you about the best treatments for your child.
Fatty liver disease treatment can include:
- Creating a diet and exercise plan
- Weight loss
- Advice on nutrition
- In some cases, weight loss surgery
Rev. 2/2018. Mass General for Children and Massachusetts General Hospital do not endorse any of the brands listed on this handout. This handout is intended to provide health information so that you can be better informed. It is not a substitute for medical advice and should not be used to treatment of any medical conditions.