How do I know which drinks to choose?
Choose a drink that has fewer than 5 grams of sugar. A drink with fewer than 5 grams of sugar is considered low in sugar. By reading the label on drinks, you will know which drinks are better for you.
- Look for drinks with fewer than 5 grams of sugar per serving
- Bottles sometimes have more than 1 serving. Look at the number of servings in each bottle.
- The amount of sugar on the label is for 1 serving. Look for drinks with fewer than 5 grams of sugar per serving.
What kinds of drinks should I choose?
- Tap water – it’s free and safe!
- Sparkling (fizzy) or seltzer water – it comes in many flavors!
- Skim or 1% (low fat) milk
- Calcium-fortified soy milk, which has calcium added to it for strong bones and proper growth and development
- Low-calorie flavored water
I like drinks with lots of flavor. What are my choices?
Healthy drinks can be good for your body and still taste good. Here are some options to add flavor to your healthy drinks:
- Add fresh fruit to your plain or fizzy water. Slices of lime, lemon, cucumber, or frozen berries add flavor without adding extra sugar or calories.
- Add tiny pieces of crushed mint leaves to your water.
- Choose flavored water that says “no sugar added” on the label. Sometimes flavored water has extra sugar, which makes it unhealthy.
I’m very busy. How can I make it easier to choose healthy drinks?
Choosing healthy drinks doesn’t have to be hard. Here are some ways you can make it easier to choose healthy drinks:
- Have water, milk or low-sugar and low-calorie drinks stocked in your fridge.
- Carry a clean, reusable water bottle with you so you can refill it throughout the day.