Where will the visit be held?
The visit will be held at one of the following locations:
- MGH Revere HealthCare Center
The Pediatric Speech and Language Department is located on the 1st floor.
- MGH Chelsea HealthCare Center
The Pediatric Speech and Language Department is located on the 4th floor.
How long is the visit?
For younger children, the evaluation is about 2 hours. For older children, the evaluation is about 3 hours. You can observe your child’s evaluation or wait in the waiting room.
What should I bring to the evaluation?
- The case history form, filled out completely. This form will be sent to you before the visit.
- Any other important evaluations, such as a neuropsychological evaluation or a speech and language evaluation from a school or another provider.
- Your child’s individualized education plan (IEP) and 504 plan (if they have one), or both
- A list of questions you and your child would like to ask the Speech and Language team
What to expect at the evaluation
- After checking in at the front desk, a speech and language pathologist (SLP, or speech therapist), will take you and your child to an exam room.
- The SLP will talk with you about your child’s case history form, medical history and other important information about your child’s speech and language. If you brought in an IEP, 504 plan or other important information, the SLP will also go over this with you.
- For the evaluation, the SLP and your child will do a mix of formal speech testing and fun activities (like reading a book).
What if I have to cancel or reschedule the evaluation?
Please call the Pediatric Speech, Language and Swallowing Disorders Clinic as soon as possible at 617-887-3527.
There might be a wait of 3-6 months for rescheduled appointments. Please do your best to come to the evaluation.
Rev. 3/2021. This handout is intended to provide health information so that you can be better informed. It is not a substitute for medical advice and should not be used to treat any medical conditions.