Smart Choices Program
Smart Choices Program
Felicia Chen, Grants Associate
Established in 1992, the Smart Choices program is designed to strengthen the capacity of community-based organizations serving Charlestown to meet the health and social service needs of community residents. Since its inception, nearly $5 million has been distributed to nonprofits and agencies that seek to promote the wellbeing of residents of this Boston neighborhood. A central focus of these funds is to facilitate collaboration and leverage collective impact among partnering organizations.
Apply now for the 2022 Grant Cycle
Application Deadline: 12 PM ET on Friday, September 30, 2022
Award Amount: In 2022, Smart Choices seeks to award one-year grants up to $25,000 to bolster organizations’ efforts to address the health priorities of community residents, totaling $180,000 in investments. Priority is given to initiatives and programs that support youth and families. The vision of the Smart Choices program is that members of the Charlestown community lead healthy lives resulting in optimal health and social outcomes, and that the network of organizations which provide vital supports and services have the capacities and resources to effectively operate. We are interested in hearing how your organizations plan to carry out activities as communities continue to weather the COVID-19 pandemic in support of residents of the Charlestown community, as well as how programming is intended to pivot in anyway.
Funding period: November 2022 – October 2023
Eligibility Requirements: Organizations eligible to apply include those that:
- Are designated as a 501(c)(3) organization or have a fiscal sponsor;
- Provide services or host activities that benefit members of the Charlestown community, with an emphasis on youth and families;
- Provide programming that is responsive to the needs of the community; and
- Actively engage community residents and populations that would greatly benefit from these services.
Selection Criteria: Applications will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Responsiveness to the goals of the Smart Choices program;
- Alignment between the mission of the organization, the community served, and the key components of the program;
- Feasibility of the proposed activities;
- A demonstrable history of working with community members who will benefit from activities;
- The ability to engage in and coordinate partnerships with other community organizations;
- Alignment with one or more of the health priorities or strategies outlined in the 2022 Community Health Needs Assessment report by Massachusetts General Hospital.
The deadline for submission and how to apply will be announced in the late summer/early fall and will be publicly announced on Mass General Center for Community Health Improvement website and in the Patriot Bridge. If you have not applied for Smart Choices grant funds in the past and would like to receive notice of when applications are open, please email Maria Doherty at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Center for Community Health Improvement
We bring together people and resources to address challenging health problems and foster sustainable improvement.