Ik-Kyung Jang, MD, PhD
Ik-Kyung Jang, MD, PhD
Director, Clinical Trials Program
Boston, MAPhone: 866-644-8910
About Ik-Kyung Jang, MD, PhD
Dr. Jang came to Massachusetts General Hospital in 1987 from Leuven University in Belgium, where he has completed his residency in medicine and fellowship in cardiology. He also successfully defended his doctorate thesis at the same university. After his advanced fellowship in cardiology at MGH, he joined the staff and is currently working as a Physician and an interventional cardiologist in the Cardiology Division. He holds currently an academic title of Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School.
A recipient of the Mass General Brigham in Excellence Award for Research in 2000 and for leadership in 2006, his research roster is extensive, and is focused on acute coronary syndromes including acute myocardial infarction. His earlier research focused on pharmacology and physiology of thrombosis and thrombolysis. In 1994 he extended his interests to clinical studies. Since founding the Coronary Clinical Trial Group within the Cardiac Unit in 1995, he has conducted numerous clinical studies. He also led Clinical Research Office of the Cardiology Division between 2003 and 2006. He is currently the Director of the Cardiology Laboratory for Integrative Physiology and Imaging (CLIPI).
For the last eleven years he has pioneered the application of intravascular Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) to patients to better characterize vulnerable plaque and to understand the mechanisms of plaque rupture. Dr. Jang has been invited to lectures at numerous national and international meetings. His publications number more than 200.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
- Acute Coronary Syndromes
- Interventional cardiology
- Intravascular Imaging
- Dutch, Korean
Mass General Heart Center
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, KyungHee University
- Residency, University Hospital Belgium
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, University Hospital Belgium
American Board Certifications
- Cardiovascular Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - other
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Summary: Dr. Jang's research focus has evolved from the pathogenesis and improved management of acute myocardial infarction to the prevention of acute coronary syndromes and sudden cardiac death. His research contributions include:
- Demonstrating the crucial role of platelets in the sensitivity of the thrombus to thrombolysis. His work provides the groundwork for future research of platelet inhibition therapy for acute coronary syndromes
- Demonstrating the role of thrombin in thrombosis and thrombolysis, and validating the thrombin hypothesis
- Organizing and conducting the international, multicenter clinical studies as a principal investigator to improve the treatment of patients with acute myocardial infarction
- Pioneering a new field of detection of vulnerable coronary plaques using optical coherence tomography (OCT)
Dr. Jang has published over 200 publications.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings