When Ann Foti learned that she could become a living donor for her husband, Gino, she was determined to donate her kidney to him; however, because of complications with Gino’s condition and the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, their journey toward transplantation surgery was far from simple.
Tatsuo Kawai, MD, PhD
Tatsuo Kawai, MD, PhD
Surgical Director, Living Donor Transplantation and Dialysis Access Program
Professor of Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Massachusetts General Hospital
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Nihon University
- PhD, Tokyo Women's Medical University
- Residency, Kawasaki City Hospital
- Residency, Tokyo Women's Medical University
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
The induction of donor-specific tolerance is currently one of the most important goals of organ or cell transplantation.
Based on our rodent studies on mixed chimerism, we developed a clinically relevant nonmyeloablative preparative regimen to induce mixed chimerism and renal allograft tolerance following donor bone marrow transplantation in MHC fully-mismatched cynomolgus monkeys. This approach has been successfully extended to HLA mismatched kidney transplant recipients. In 4/5 recipients who were treated with our mini-bone marrow transplant, immunosuppression was successfully discontinued at 9-14 months following the transplant in the other four recipients with longest survival exceeding 7 years. Since January 2009, an expanded, multi-center clinical trial for tolerance induction following HLA mismatched kidney transplantation has been underway.
Select Publications: From a total of 124 peer-reviewed manuscripts, 57 Reviews and 17 Textbook chapters have been published as of Dec 2009.
- Kawai T, Cosimi AB, Colvin RB, et al. Mixed allogeneic chimerism and renal allograft tolerance in cynomolgus monkeys. Transplantation 1995; 59 (2): 256.
- Kawai T, Sogawa H, Boskovic S, et al. CD154 blockade for induction of mixed chimerism and prolonged renal allograft survival in nonhuman primates. Am J Transplant 2004; 4 (9): 1391.
- Kawai T, Cosimi AB, Spitzer TR, et al. HLA-mismatched renal transplantation without maintenance immunosuppression. N Engl J Med 2008; 358 (4): 353.