Episode #34 of the Charged podcast
Barbara Smith, MD, PhD
Barbara Smith, MD, PhD
Professor of Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General Surgery: Surgical Oncology
55 Fruit St.
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care
Boston, MA 02114
Mass General Cancer Center at Mass General Waltham
52 Second Ave.
Waltham, MA 02451
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- PhD, Harvard University
- Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Surgery, American Board of Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Nipple sparing mastectomy
High risk patients
- Learn more about Barbara Smith, MD, and how a nipple-sparing mastectomy can reduce breast cancer recurrence.
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy. Rusby JE, Smith BL, Gui GP. Br J Surg 2010 Mar;97(3);305-16.
- An inferolateral approach to nipple-sparing mastectomy: optimizing mastectomy and reconstruction. Colwell AS, Gadd M, Smith BL, Austen WG Jr. Ann Plast Surg. 2010 Aug;65(2):140-3.
- Occult nipple involvement in breast cancer: clinicopathologic findings in 316 consecutive mastectomy specimens. Brachte EF, Rusby Je, Michaelson JS, Chen LL, Muzikansky A, Smith BL, Koerner FC. J Clin Oncol 2009 Oct 20;27(30):4930-2
- Development and validation of a model predictive of occult nipple involvement in women undergoing mastectomy. Rusby JE, Bracte EF, Othus M, Michaelson JS, Koerner FC, Smith, BL Br J Surg: 2008 Nov;95(11):1356-61
Related News and Articles
- Press Release
- May | 17 | 2023
In a clinical trial of 406 patients, Mass General Cancer Center investigators found that real-time imaging using a fluorescent agent had a favorable impact for 1 in 10 patients, with potential to avoid a second surgery.
- Clinician Resource
- May | 6 | 2020
A team led by Barbara Smith, MD, PhD, director of the Mass General Breast Program and professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School, has developed a tool to help breast surgeons and administrators keep track of patients whose surgery has been delayed due to COVID-19.
- Apr | 6 | 2018
Mike Tripaldi was at a tiki bar with friends on Memorial Day weekend in 2015 when his life changed forever.