In recognition of Lung Cancer Awareness Month, Massachusetts General Hospital physicians answer common questions related to lung cancer.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Clark Center for Radiation Oncology
100 Blossom Street
Boston, MA 02114-2606
- MD, University of Hamburg
- MD, University of Hamburg School of Medicine
- Residency, Hermann Holthusen Institute for Radiotherapy
- Residency, Mass General Hospital
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Radiation Oncology, American Board of Radiology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Willers' clinical research activities focus on:
- Developing personalized, high-precision radiation treatment approaches for tumors in the chest (http://www.massgeneral.org/radiationoncology/IMART.aspx).
- Using proton beam radiation therapy in lung cancer to improve therapeutic efficacy and sparing of normal organs.
- The application of stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) in patients with early-stage and metastatic NSCLC as well as lung metastases.
Dr. Willers’ clinical trials at https://clinicaltrials.gov: NCT02314364, NCT02394548, NCT01993810, NCT01553942
Dr. Willers' lab research program aims at improving the outcomes of radiation therapy and identifying markers of resistance or sensitivity to radiation. There are three major focus areas:
- To understand and overcome genomically defined radiation resistance in lung cancer.
- To develop novel, biomarker-driven combinations of radiation with molecular targeted drugs in lung and other difficult-to-treat cancers.
- To target DNA repair pathways in lung and other cancers with proton radiation and PARP inhibitor treatments.
Dr. Willers' long-term goal is to contribute to the realization of "personalized" curative cancer therapy.
Out of 72 peer-reviewed publications:
Al-Halabi H, Paetzold P, Sharp G, Olsen C, Willers H. A Contralateral Esophagus-Sparing Technique to Limit Severe Esophagitis Associated With Concurrent High-Dose Radiation and Chemotherapy in Patients With Thoracic Malignancies. IJROBP 2015;92:803-10
Al-Halabi H, Sayegh K, Digamurthy S, Niemierko A, Piotrowska Z, Willers H, Sequist L. Pattern of Failure Analysis in Metastatic EGFR-Mutant Lung Cancer Treated with Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors to Identify Candidates for Consolidation SBRT. J Thorac Oncol, 2015; 10:1601-7
Wang M, Han J, Marcar L, Black J, Liu Q, Li X, Nagulapalli K, Sequist LV, Mak RH, Benes CH, Hong TS, Gurtner K, Krause M, Baumann M, Kang JX, Whetstine J, Willers H. Radiation resistance in KRAS-mutated lung cancer is enabled by stem-like properties mediated by an osteopontin-EGFR pathway. Cancer Res. 2017;77:2018-28
Bristow RG, Alexander B, Baumann M, Bratman SV, Brown JM, Camphausen K, Choyke P, Citrin D, Contessa JN, Dicker A, Kirsch DG, Krause M, Le QT, Milosevic M, Morris ZS, Sarkaria JN, Sondel PM, Tran PT, Wilson GD, Willers H, Wong RKS, Harari PM. Combining precision radiotherapy with molecular targeting and immunomodulatory agents: a guideline by the American Society for Radiation Oncology. Lancet Oncol. 2018;19:e240-51.
Liu Q, Gheorghiu L, Drumm M, Clayman R, Eidelman A, Wszolek MF, Olumi A, Feldman A, Wang M, Marcar L, Citrin DE, Wu CL, Benes CH, Efstathiou JA, Willers H. PARP-1 inhibition with or without ionizing radiation confers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity preferentially to cancer cells with mutant TP53. Oncogene 2018;37:2793-2805
- May | 21 | 2018
Drs. Henning Willers and David Miyamoto were recognized with a $150,000 grant to support their research proposal on investigating mechanisms of DNA repair after proton radiation.
- May | 15 | 2018
A task force commissioned by ASTRO reported the findings of its review on opportunities to expand the number of clinical trials that include radiation therapy in combination with new cancer drugs.