Emily Falkenstein has spent her entire life living with a congenital heart defect. Beginning with an initial heart attack in infancy, Emily has received her care at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Electrophysiology Lab/Arrhythmia Service
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
- MD, University of Athens School of Medicine
- Residency, St. Elizabeth's Medical Center
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, UMass Memorial Medical Center
American Board Certifications
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Cardiovascular Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Block HF Clinical Trial. This is a multicenter study to test the hypothesis that patients with mild to moderate symptoms of heart failure, NYHA Class I, II, and III, some degree of left ventricular dysfunction (LVEF < 50%) and AV block will benefit from biventricular pacing compared to right ventricular pacing, as evidenced by a slowing in the progression of heart failure in patients receiving biventricular pacing. This benefit will be demonstrated using a composite endpoint of mortality, morbidity and cardiac function.
VEST. This is a multicenter NIH funded study looking into reducing the risk of sudden cardiac death in post-MI patients who have a reduced LVEF < 35%. These patients will be randomized to receive a LifeVest external defibrillator as opposed to medical therapy.
Role: Principal investigator for Massachusetts General Hospital.
- Noseworthy PA, Rosenberg MA, Fifer MA, Palacios IF, Lowry PA, Ruskin JN, Sanborn DM, Picard MH, Vlahakes GJ, Das S, Mela T. Ventricular arrhythmia following alcohol septal ablation for obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. AJC 2009;104(1):128-132.
- Merchant FM, Heist EK, McCarty D, Kumar P, Das S, Blendea D, Ellinor PT, Mela T, Picard MH, Ruskin JN, Singh JP. Impact of segmental left ventricle lead position on cardiac resynchronization therapy outcomes. Heart Rhythm. 2010 May;7(5):639-44.
- Complication Rates Associated with Pacemaker or Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator Generator Replacements and Upgrade Procedures. Results from the REPLACE Registry. Circ 2010: 122;1553-1561.