Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Center for Pain Medicine
15 Parkman Street
Boston, MA 02114-3117
- PhD, Medical College of Virginia
- MD, Suzhou Medical College
- Residency, Medical College Virginia Hospitals
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Suzhou Medical College
American Board Certifications
- Anesthesiology, American Board of Anesthesiology
- Pain Medicine, American Board of Anesthesiology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Mao is the Vice Chair for Research and Chief of Division of Pain Medicine at the MGH Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine. He is also the Director of the MGH Center for Translational Pain Research. Dr. Mao is the Richard J. Kitz Professor of Anesthesia Research, Harvard Medical School. His research interests are related to the mechanisms, diagnosis, and treatment of cancer-related pain, neuropathic pain, back and neck pain as well as opioid tolerance, dependence, and addiction. Dr. Mao's research projects have been well funded by the National Institutes of Health and other sources.
Link to the MGH Center for Translational Pain Research: https://www.massgeneral.org/anesthesia/translational-pain-research