Jianren Mao, MD, PhD
Jianren Mao, MD, PhD
Vice Chair for Research
Director, MGH Center for Translational Pain Research
Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-3030
About Jianren Mao, MD, PhD
The Mass General Center for Translational Pain Research is devoted to translational research on pain mechanisms and pain treatment. The Center is interested in technology transfer and intellectual property development in pain management.
In the clinical area, we are interested in studying the clinical neurobiology of neuropathic and inflammatory pain and exploring novel pharmacological and interventional approaches for the management of various clinical pain conditions. We have been extensively involved in studying the cellular mechanisms and clinical features of opioid-induced pain, opioid tolerance and addiction.
In the preclinical area, we are interested in studying:
- the neural and molecular mechanisms of neuropathic pain, opioid tolerance, and opioid-induced hyperalgesia;
- the role of endogenous cannabinoids in the modulation of neuropathic pain;
- the role of central glucocorticoid receptors in the neural and molecular mechanisms of pain and opioid tolerance;
- peripheral and central mechanisms of burn-induced pain and low back pain.
- Pain management
Mass General Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
55 Fruit St.
Gray Bigelow Building
Boston, MA 02114
- PhD, Medical College of Virginia
- MD, Suzhou Medical College
- Residency, Medical College Virginia Hospitals
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Suzhou Medical College
American Board Certifications
- Pain Medicine, American Board of Anesthesiology
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Mao is the Vice Chair for Research and Chief of Division of Pain Medicine at the MGH Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine. He is also the Director of the MGH Center for Translational Pain Research. Dr. Mao is the Richard J. Kitz Professor of Anesthesia Research, Harvard Medical School. His research interests are related to the mechanisms, diagnosis, and treatment of cancer-related pain, neuropathic pain, back and neck pain as well as opioid tolerance, dependence, and addiction. Dr. Mao's research projects have been well funded by the National Institutes of Health and other sources.
Link to the MGH Center for Translational Pain Research: https://www.massgeneral.org/anesthesia/translational-pain-research
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings