John Chen, MD, PhD
John Chen, MD, PhD
Director, Institute for Innovation in Imaging, Department of Radiology
Director, Imaging Clinical Trials, Division of Neuroradiology
Associate Professor of Radiology, Harvard Medical School
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General Imaging: Neuroradiology
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- PhD, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign
- MD, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Diagnostic Radiology, American Board of Radiology
- Radiology - Neuroradiology, American Board of Radiology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
My laboratory studies neuroinflammation, combining basic science research with a clinical focus. In particular, we investigate the roles of molecular pathways and innate immune processes related to microglia in multiple sclerosis but also other diseases where CNS inflammation is prominent. A key aspect of our research is in deciphering complex in vivo biology by using innovative molecular imaging technologies, targeted molecular treatments, advanced experimental models as well as human trials. Ultimately we hope advance the diagnosis and treatment of these diseases by developing novel imaging and treatment strategies.
- Rodriguez E, Nilges M, Weissleder R, Chen JW. Activatable magnetic resonance imaging agents for myeloperoxidase sensing: mechanism of activation, stability, and toxicity. J Am Chem Soc. 2010;132(1):168-77
- Ronald JA*, Chen JW*, Chen Y, Hamilton AM, Rodriguez E, Reynolds F, Hegele RA, Rogers KA, Querol M, Bogdanov A, Weissleder R, Rutt BK. Enzyme-Sensitive Magnetic Resonance Imaging Targeting Myeloperoxidase Identifies Active Inflammation in Experimental Rabbit Atherosclerotic Plaques. Circulation. 2009;120(7):592-9
- McCann CM, Waterman P, Figueiredo JL, Aikawa E, Weissleder R, Chen JW. Combined magnetic resonance and fluorescence imaging of the living mouse brain reveals glioma response to chemotherapy. Neuroimage. 2009;45(2):360-9
- Breckwoldt M*, Chen JW*, Stangenberg L, Aikawa E, Rodriguez E, Qiu S, Moskowitz M, Weissleder R. Tracking the Inflammatory Response in Stroke in Vivo by Sensing the Enzyme Myeloperoxidase. P Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105 (47):18584-18589
- Chen JW, Breckwoldt MO, Aikawa E, Chiang G, Weissleder R. Myeloperoxidase-targeted imaging of active inflammatory lesions in murine experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Brain. 2008;131(Pt 4):1123-33