In the first study of its kind, researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital identified a mechanism for the anorexigenic effect of oxytocin. It attenuates functional connectivity between the ventral tegmental area and other brain regions involved in processing visual food cues.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Neuroendocrine and Pituitary Tumor Clinical Center
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Lawson is a clinical researcher who studies the role of the hormone oxytocin in a range of disorders, including hypopituitarism, eating disorders, obesity, and osteopenia/osteoporosis. Her research also focuses on endocrine regulation of eating behavior and metabolism in eating disorders and obesity.
- Lawson EA, Marengi D, DeSanti R, Holmes T, Schoenfeld D, Tolley C. Oxytocin reduces caloric intake in men. Obesity. 2015 May;23(5):950-6. PMCID:PMC4414748.
- Baskaran C, Plessow F, Silva L, Asanza E, Marengi D, Eddy KT, Sluss P, Johnson M, Misra M, Lawson EA. Oxytocin Secretion is Pulsatile in Men and is Related to Social-Emotional Functioning. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2017. Jul 24;85:28-34. doi: 10.1016/j.psyneuen.2017.07.486. [Epub ahead of print]
- Aulinas A, Plessow F, Pulumo LR, Asanza E, Mancuso CJ, Slattery M, Tolley C, Thomas JJ, Eddy KT, Miller KK, Klibanski A, Misra M*, Lawson EA*. Disrupted oxytocin-appetite signaling in females with anorexia nervosa. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2019 Aug 1;104(8):3181-3191. doi: 10.1210/jc.2018-02608.
- Aulinas A, Plessow F, Asanza E, Silva L, Marengi DA, Fan W, Abedi P, Verbalis J, Tritos N, Nachtigall L, Faje A, Miller KK, Lawson EA. Low Plasma Oxytocin Levels and Increased Psychopathology in Hypopituitary Men with Diabetes Insipidus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2019 Aug 1;104(8):3181-3191. doi: 10.1210/jc.2018-02608.
- Aulinas A, Guarda FJ, Yu EW, Haines MS, Asanza E, Silva L, Tritos NA, Verbalis J, Miller KK, Lawson EA. Lower oxytocin levels are associated with lower bone mineral density and less favorable hip geometry in hypopituitary men. Neuroendocrinology. 2020 Feb 20 Online ahead of print