Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-3030
About Ion Hobai, MD, PhD
Mass General Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- PhD, University of Bristol - England
- MD, University of Medicine & Pharmacy, Carol Davila
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Anesthesiology, American Board of Anesthesiology
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Heart failure
- Heart muscle physiology
Description of Research:
My current research focuses on understanding the mechanisms responsible for the decreased cardiac contractile force in patients with sepsis and septic shock (a clinical entity also known as sepsis-induced cardiomyopathy). Specifically, in the last few years I have been studying mechanisms of intracellular calcium homeostasis and nitric oxide (NO) signaling in the heart. NO appears to play a dual role in sepsis, having both pathologic and beneficial roles, and my goal is to be able to propose novel therapeutic agents that will specifically correct the former and potentiate the latter.
Previously, I have been interested in understanding the mechanisms of cardiac excitation contraction coupling (the process that links the cardiac action potential to the development of contractile force, and the main determinant of cardiac contractile force), during my graduate studies in Physiology at the University of Bristol, UK, which were followed by a research fellowship at Johns Hopkins University. At Johns Hopkins I studied how the process of excitation-contraction coupling is compromised in the failing heart, and devised novel therapeutic strategies. My current interest in sepsis-induced cardiomyopathy is partly the result of my training and current work as a clinical anesthesiologist at Mass General Hospital.
- Hobai IA, Chhangani SV, Alfille PH. Anesthesia for tracheal resection and reconstruction. Anesthesiol Clin. 2012;30:709-730.
- Hobai IA, Gauran C, Chitilian HV, Ehrenfeld JM, Levinson J, Sandberg WS. The management and outcome of documented intraoperative heart rate-related electrocardiographic changes. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2011;25:791-798.
- Hobai IA. Letter by Hobai regarding article, "Long-term anabolic-androgenic steroid use is associated with left ventricular dysfunction". Circ Heart Fail. 2011;3:e30; author reply e31.
- Buys ES, Cauwels A, Raher MJ, Passeri JJ, Hobai I, Cawley SM, Rauwerdink KM, Thibault H, Sips PY, Thoonen R, Scherrer-Crosbie M, Ichinose F, Brouckaert P, Bloch KD. sGC(alpha)1(beta)1 attenuates cardiac dysfunction and mortality in murine inflammatory shock models. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;297:H654-663.
- Hobai IA, Bittner EA, Grecu L. Perioperative spinal cord infarction in nonaortic surgery: report of three cases and review of the literature. J Clin Anesth. 2008;20:307-312.
- Hobai IA. Atrioventricular block induced by indigo carmine. Can J Anaesth. 2008;55:717-718.
- Hobai I, O'Rourke B, inventors. U.S. Patent: Method for treating heart failure by inhibiting the sarcolemmal sodium/calcium exchange, 2004.
- Armoundas AA, Hobai IA, Tomaselli GF, Winslow RL, O'Rourke B. Role of sodium-calcium exchanger in modulating the action potential of ventricular myocytes from normal and failing hearts. Circ Res. 2003;93:46-53.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings