Research at the Mass General is interwoven throughout more than 30 departments, centers and units, and is conducted with the support and guidance of the Mass General Research Institute.
John Higgins, MD
John Higgins, MD
Professor of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General Pathology
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Clinical Pathology, American Board of Pathology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Higgins studies the dynamics of human pathophysiologic processes by developing mathematical descriptions of complex human disease phenotypes and how they change over time.
See details at the Higgins Lab.
1. Foy BH, Carlson JCT, Reinertsen E, Padros I Valls R, Pallares Lopez R, Palanques-Tost E, Mow C, Westover MB, Aguirre AD, Higgins JM Association of Red Blood Cell Distribution Width With Mortality Risk in Hospitalized Adults With SARS-CoV-2 Infection. JAMA Network Open. 2020 (PMID: 32965501)
2. Di Caprio G*, Schonbrun E*, Gon?alves BP, Valdez JM, Wood DK, Higgins JM High-throughput assessment of hemoglobin polymer in single red blood cells from sickle cell patients under controlled oxygen tension.PNAS 2019 (PMID 31767751)
3. Chaudhury A, Miller GD, Eichner D, Higgins JM Single-cell modeling of routine clinical blood tests reveals transient dynamics of human response to blood loss. eLife. 2019 (PMID: 31845889).
4. Malka R, Nathan DM, Higgins JM Mechanistic modeling of hemoglobin glycation and red blood cell kinetics enables personalized diabetes monitoring Science Translational Medicine 2016 (PMID: 277080630.