Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass. Eye and Ear
243 Charles St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens School of Medicine
- Residency, Boston Medical Center
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Gragoudas is a Senior Scientist and Co-Director of the Laser Laboratory, Angiogenesis Laboratory, and Retina Research Institute at Mass. Eye and Ear. He played a pivotal role in the development of proton bean therapy (PBT) for uveal melanoma, and performed both preclinical studies and the first clinical studies in patients. He continues to refine PBT and has taken a multidisciplinary approach to developing new strategies for managing uveal melanoma.Studies initiated in the early 1990s with Dr. Joan Miller produced a breakthrough for patients with wetAMD: photodynamictherapy (PDT) with verteporlin (VISudyne®). He and his colleagues identified the important role of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in ocular neovascularization, which formed the scientific basis for the present antiangiogenic treatments for neovascular AMD and other intraocular vascular diseases.
1. Oxenreiter MM, Lane AM, Jain P, Kim IK, Gragoudas ES. Conservative management of suspicious melanocytic lesions of the iris. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2019 Jun; 257(6):1319-1324.
2. Lane AM, Kim IK, Gragoudas ES. Survival Rates in Patients After Treatment for Metastasis From Uveal Melanoma. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2018 09 01; 136(9):981-986.
3. Ung C, Laíns I, Silverman RF, Woods R, Lane AM, Papakostas TD, Husain D, Miller JW, Gragoudas ES, Kim IK, Miller JB. Evaluation of choroidal lesions with swept-source optical coherence tomography. Br J Ophthalmol. 2019 01; 103(1):88-93.
4. Papakostas TD, Morrison MA, Lane AM, Awh C, DeAngelis MM, Gragoudas ES, Kim IK. Genetic Risk Factors for Radiation Vasculopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2018 03 01; 59(3):1547-1553.
5. Kosmidou C, Efstathiou NE, Hoang MV, Notomi S, Konstantinou EK, Hirano M, Takahashi K, Maidana DE, Tsoka P, Young L, Gragoudas ES, Olsen TW, Morizane Y, Miller JW, Vavvas DG. Issues with the Specificity of Immunological Reagents for NLRP3: Implications for Age-related Macular Degeneration. Sci Rep. 2018 01 11; 8(1):461.