Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
243 Charles Street
Boston, MA 02114 - 3002
- MD, University of Louisville
- MD, University of Louisville School of Medicine
- Residency, Boston Medical Center
- Residency, Boston University
- Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye & Ear
- Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
At Schepens Eye Research Institute of Mass. Eye and Ear, Dr. Jurkunas primarily studies the pathogenesis of Fuchs’ endothelial corneal dystrophy (FECD)—with emphasis on the role of oxidative stress in endothelial cell death—and the development of cultivated epithelial (stem) cell transplantation for the treatment of limbal stem cell deficiency.
In addition, as an Associate Professor of Ophthalmology at Harvard Medical School, she teaches residents and fellows about corneal surgical procedures and the diagnosis and clinical management of corneal and refractive conditions. Her main clinical areas of expertise are corneal endothelial dysfunction, femtosecond cataract surgery, refractive surgery, and lamellar keratoplasty, including DMEK and complex DSAEK.
1. Liu C, Miyajima T, Melangath G, Miyai T, Vasanth S, Deshpande N, Kumar V, Ong Tone S, Gupta R, Zhu S, Vojnovic D, Chen Y, Rogan EG, Mondal B, Zahid M, Jurkunas UV. Ultraviolet A light induces DNA damage and estrogen-DNA adducts in Fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophy causing females to be more affected. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2019 Dec 18.
2. Miyajima T, Melangath G, Zhu S, Deshpande N, Vasanth S, Mondal B, Kumar V, Chen Y, Price MO, Price FW, Rogan EG, Zahid M, Jurkunas UV. Loss of NQO1 generates genotoxic estrogen-DNA adducts in Fuchs Endothelial Corneal Dystrophy. Free Radic Biol Med. 2019 Dec 17; 147:69-79.
3. Pan P, Weisenberger DJ, Zheng S, Wolf M, Hwang DG, Rose-Nussbaumer JR, Jurkunas UV, Chan MF. Aberrant DNA methylation of miRNAs in Fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophy. Sci Rep. 2019 Nov 08; 9(1):16385.
4. Miyai T, Vasanth S, Melangath G, Deshpande N, Kumar V, Benischke AS, Chen Y, Price MO, Price FW, Jurkunas UV. Activation of PINK1-Parkin-Mediated Mitophagy Degrades Mitochondrial Quality Control Proteins in Fuchs Endothelial Corneal Dystrophy. Am J Pathol. 2019 Oct; 189(10):2061-2076.
5. Ong Tone S, Jurkunas U. Imaging the Corneal Endothelium in Fuchs Corneal Endothelial Dystrophy. Semin Ophthalmol. 2019; 34(4):340-346.