Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
243 Charles Street
Boston, MA 02114 - 3002
- MD, University of Minnesota
- MD, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis School of Medicine
- Residency, Mass Eye
- Residency, Massachusetts Eye & Ear
- Fellowship, Mass Eye
- Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye & Ear
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Pineda's main areas of focus are the cornea, refractive surgery (laser vision correction),and complex cataract surgery. He was the first faculty member at Mass. Eye and Ear to use clear cornea incision techniques, topical and intracameral anesthesia, and limbal relaxing incisions during cataract surgery. He has brought new techniques and technology to Mass. Eye and Ear and the New England region, including conductive keratoplasty; lntacs with lntralase for keratoconus; and DLEK, DSEK, and DALK (novellamellar corneal transplantation). He also established two longitudinal clinical sites to evaluate the viability of the Boston Keratoprosthesis in Ethiopia and Sudan. Currently, he is working on a Brillouin confocal microscope for the cornea and lens to analyze their physiologic properties.
1. Eltony AM, Clouser F, Shao P, Pineda R, Yun SH. Brillouin Microscopy Visualizes Centralized Corneal Edema in Fuchs Endothelial Dystrophy. Cornea. 2020 Feb; 39(2):168-171.
2. Koo EH, Pineda R, Afshari N, Eghrari A. Learning Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty: A Survey of U.S. Corneal Surgeons. Cornea. 2019 Nov 08.
3. Francone A, Lemanski N, Charles M, Borboli-Gerogiannis S, Chen S, Robert MC, Pineda R. Retrospective comparative analysis of intraocular lens calculation formulas after hyperopic refractive surgery. PLoS One. 2019; 14(11):e0224981.
4. Davies E, Pineda R. Corneal Tomography Changes and Refractive Outcomes After Descemet Stripping Without Endothelial Keratoplasty. Cornea. 2019 Jul; 38(7):817-819.
5. Lin SR, Ladas JG, Bahadur GG, Al-Hashimi S, Pineda R. A Review of Machine Learning Techniques for Keratoconus Detection and Refractive Surgery Screening. Semin Ophthalmol. 2019; 34(4):317-326.