Roberto Pineda, MD
Roberto Pineda, MD
Thomas Y. and Clara W. Butler Chair in Ophthalmology
Boston, MAPhone: 617-523-7900
About Roberto Pineda, MD
Dr. Pineda is an ophthalmologist with subspecialty training in corneal disorders, external disease, refractive surgery, and ocular trauma. His specialty areas include laser vision correction, corneal surgery, and cataract surgery. Most of his patients have complex cases and are referred to him after second or third opinions, or re-operations.
In addition to his clinical practice, Dr. Pineda is spearheading efforts to expand affordable and quality eye care internationally. He is the Director of the International Council of Ophthalmology fellowship at Mass. Eye and Ear; the advisor for the Harvard College Chapter of Unite for Sight; and a Board Member of Visionaries International, a nonprofit that trains corneal surgeons in developing countries. He also participates with Orbis International, where he teaches ophthalmologists the latest surgical techniques. In 2014, Dr. Pineda was named Associate Director of the office of Global Surgery and Health at Mass. Eye and Ear. Additionally, Dr. Pineda is working to introduce the artificial cornea, known as the Boston keratoprosthesis, in Ethiopia and Sudan.
Dr. Pineda is the recipient of numerous awards, including the 1997 Harvard Ophthalmology Teacher of the Year Award, the 2000 Partners in Excellence Award from the United Arab Emirates Project Team, the 2001 Mass. Eye and Ear Medical Staff Recognition Award, and a 2014 American Academy of Ophthalmology's Senior Achievement Award. In 2014, he was named Distinguished Scholar
- Cornea and external diseases
- Laser Vision Correction
Mass. Eye and Ear
243 Charles St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts Eye and Ear***
- Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye and Ear***
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - other
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- Tufts Health Plan
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Pineda's main areas of focus are the cornea, refractive surgery (laser vision correction),and complex cataract surgery. He was the first faculty member at Mass. Eye and Ear to use clear cornea incision techniques, topical and intracameral anesthesia, and limbal relaxing incisions during cataract surgery. He has brought new techniques and technology to Mass. Eye and Ear and the New England region, including conductive keratoplasty; lntacs with lntralase for keratoconus; and DLEK, DSEK, and DALK (novellamellar corneal transplantation). He also established two longitudinal clinical sites to evaluate the viability of the Boston Keratoprosthesis in Ethiopia and Sudan. Currently, he is working on a Brillouin confocal microscope for the cornea and lens to analyze their physiologic properties.
1. Eltony AM, Clouser F, Shao P, Pineda R, Yun SH. Brillouin Microscopy Visualizes Centralized Corneal Edema in Fuchs Endothelial Dystrophy. Cornea. 2020 Feb; 39(2):168-171.
2. Koo EH, Pineda R, Afshari N, Eghrari A. Learning Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty: A Survey of U.S. Corneal Surgeons. Cornea. 2019 Nov 08.
3. Francone A, Lemanski N, Charles M, Borboli-Gerogiannis S, Chen S, Robert MC, Pineda R. Retrospective comparative analysis of intraocular lens calculation formulas after hyperopic refractive surgery. PLoS One. 2019; 14(11):e0224981.
4. Davies E, Pineda R. Corneal Tomography Changes and Refractive Outcomes After Descemet Stripping Without Endothelial Keratoplasty. Cornea. 2019 Jul; 38(7):817-819.
5. Lin SR, Ladas JG, Bahadur GG, Al-Hashimi S, Pineda R. A Review of Machine Learning Techniques for Keratoconus Detection and Refractive Surgery Screening. Semin Ophthalmol. 2019; 34(4):317-326.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings