Joseph Rizzo, MD
Joseph Rizzo, MD
Director, Neuro-ophthalmology Service
Director, Neuro-ophthalmology Fellowship
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass. Eye and Ear
243 Charles St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Louisiana State University School of Medicine
- Residency, Boston Medical Center
- Residency, Tufts Medical Center
- Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye & Ear
American Board Certifications
- Neurology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Rizzo dedicates his research to studying the mechanisms of vision loss, improving diagnostic methods, and developing new treatments for blinding diseases. In the late 1980s, he founded the Boston Retinal Implant Project to develop a retinal prosthesis and offer a new therapeutic option for patients who have acquired blindness. His clinical research focuses primarily on the study of optic neuritis/multiple sclerosis, ischemic optic neuropathy, pseudotumor cerebri, and giant cell arteritis.
1. Rizzo JF. Unraveling the Enigma of Nonarteritic Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy. J Neuroophthalmol. 2019 Dec; 39(4):529-544.
2. Yoon MK, Rizzo JF. Giant Cell Arteritis in Black Patients: Do We Know How Rare It Is? JAMA Ophthalmol. 2019 Aug 08.
3. Douglas VP, Douglas KAA, Rizzo JF, Chwalisz BK. Case report: Orbital myositis triggering oxygen-responsive cluster headache. Cephalalgia. 2019 07 25; 333102419865974.
4. Gaier ED, Wang M, Gilbert AL, Rizzo JF, Cestari DM, Miller JB. Quantitative analysis of optical coherence tomographic angiography (OCT-A) in patients with non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION) corresponds to visual function. PLoS One. 2018; 13(6):e0199793.
5. Mansouri B, Roznik M, Rizzo JF, Prasad S. Rehabilitation of Visual Loss: Where We Are and Where We Need to Be. J Neuroophthalmol. 2018 Jun; 38(2):223-229.