Boston, MAPhone: 617-936-6160
Boston, MAPhone: 617-523-7900
About Lucy Shen, MD
As a clinician scientist, Dr. Shen's work primarily focuses on glaucoma detection and treatment. Of particular interest is how newer technologies, such as imaging, can be used to better monitor glaucoma. She is also studying how imaging may contribute to a clearer understanding of how disease originates and progresses. Additionally, Dr. Shen is also exploring treatment options for glaucoma in patients with Boston Keratoprosthesis (KPro), a type of artificial cornea.
In addition to her clinical and research responsibilities, Dr. Shen teaches and mentors medical students, residents, and fellows. In collaboration with her colleagues, she also played a vital role in redesigning the training curriculum for senior residents. Currently, Dr. Shen is the director of the glaucoma fellowship at Massachusetts Eye and Ear.
Throughout her career, Dr. Shen has been honored with numerous awards and scholarships. In particular, the American Glaucoma Society has presented her with several accolades, including the Young Clinician Scientist Award, the Best Surgery Video Award, and the Mentoring for Advancement of Physician Scientists Award. More recently, she received the Eleanor and Miles Fellowship from Harvard Medical School.
- Chinese, Mandarin
Mass. Eye and Ear at Longwood
800 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115
Mass. Eye and Ear
243 Charles St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Jules Stein Eye Institute @ UCLA
- Fellowship, Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - other
- Tufts Health Plan
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Shen's clinical and research interests focus on glaucoma. In the past, she has helped identify structural-functional relationships in patients with visual field defects from glaucoma by conducting optic nerve disc and macular imaging. Most recently, she is collaborating with Drs. Louis Pasquale and Tobias Elze to develop computer algorithms to improve functional and structural tests for patients with glaucoma. She also is using a new imaging device called swept source OCT to image the glaucomatous optic nerve and is investigating glaucoma associated with keratoprosthesis.
1. Wang M, Tichelaar J, Pasquale LR, Shen LQ, Boland MV, Wellik SR, De Moraes CG, Myers JS, Ramulu P, Kwon M, Saeedi OJ, Wang H, Baniasadi N, Li D, Bex PJ, Elze T. Characterization of Central Visual Field Loss in End-stage Glaucoma by Unsupervised Artificial Intelligence. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2020 Jan 02.
2. Bommakanti N, De Moraes CG, Boland MV, Myers JS, Wellik SR, Elze T, Pasquale LR, Shen LQ, Ritch R, Liebmann JM. Baseline Age and Mean Deviation Affect the Rate of Glaucomatous Vision Loss. J Glaucoma. 2020 Jan; 29(1):31-38.
3. Dohlman CH, Zhou C, Lei F, Cade F, Regatieri CV, Crnej A, Dohlman JG, Shen LQ, Paschalis EI. Glaucoma After Corneal Trauma or Surgery-A Rapid, Inflammatory, IOP-Independent Pathway. Cornea. 2019 Dec; 38(12):1589-1594.
4. Lin MM, Rageh A, Turalba AV, Lee H, Falkenstein IA, Hoguet AS, Ojha P, Rao VS, Ratanawongphaibul K, Rhee DJ, Shen LQ, Song BJ, Chen TC. In Reply: Protocol For Titrated Endocycloplasty When Combined With Phacoemulsification in an Exclusive Cohort of Angle Closure Glaucoma. J Glaucoma. 2019 Dec; 28(12):e178-e179.
5. Nascimento E Silva R, Taniguchi EV, Cruzat A, Paschalis EI, Pasquale LR, Colby KA, Dohlman CH, Chodosh J, Shen LQ. Angle Anatomy and Glaucoma in Patients With Boston Keratoprosthesis. Cornea. 2019 Nov 18.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings