Boston, MAPhone: 855-644-6387
About Eric Klawiter, MD
Eric Klawiter, MD, MSc is an Associate Neurologist at Massachusetts General Hospital and Associate Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School who specializes in multiple sclerosis (MS) and related diseases. He received his medical training at the Sanford School of Medicine at the University of South Dakota. Following medical school, he completed a medical internship and residency in Neurology at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University in St. Louis. Dr. Klawiter received fellowship training in neuroimmunology (multiple sclerosis) at Washington University where he was the recipient of a Clinical Research Training Fellowship from the American Academy of Neurology.
Dr. Klawiter's clinical practice focuses on treatment of multiple sclerosis and neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder (NMOSD) where he serves as Director of the Multiple Sclerosis and Neuromyelitis Optica Unit at MGH. He manages all aspects of MS and NMOSD symptom and disease modifying therapy.
Dr. Klawiter's research interests include multiple sclerosis clinical research and developing new imaging techniques to better understand, diagnose and treat multiple sclerosis. He has written numerous publications relating to evaluating brain connectivity and tissue microstructure in MS with novel MRI and PET techniques. Additionally, he has participated in multiple clinical trials of multiple sclerosis therapeutic agents.
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neuromyelitis optica
Mass General Neurology
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Sanford School of Medicine @ University of South Dakota
- Residency, Barnes Jewish Hospital
- Fellowship, Washington University Barnes Jewish Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Neurology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
1. Tobyne SM, Ochoa WB, Bireley JD, Smith VMJ, Geurts JJG, Schmahmann JD, Klawiter EC. Cognitive impairment and the regional distribution of cerebellar lesion in multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. 2017. 37:2849-2868.
2. Klawiter EC, Bove R, Elsone L, et al. High Risk of Post-partum Relapses in Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder. Neurology. 2017. 89(22):2238-2244.
3. Smith VMJ, Varsanik JS, Walker RA, Russo AW, Patel KR, Gabel W, Phillips GA, Kimmel ZM, Klawiter EC. Movement measurements at home for multiple sclerosis: walking speed measured by a novel ambient measurement system. Mult Scler J Exp Transl Clin. 2018. 4(1):2055217317753465.
4. Patel K, Tobyne S, Boratyn D, Bireley JD, Smith VMJ, Klawiter EC. Structural Disconnection is Responsible for Increased Functional Connectivity in Multiple Sclerosis. Brain Struct Funct. 2018. 223(5):2519-2526.
5. Fox RJ, Coffey CS, Conwit R, Cudkowicz ME, Gleason T, Goodman A, Klawiter EC, et al. on behalf of the NN102/SPRINT-MS Investigators. A phase II trial of ibudilast in progressive multiple sclerosis. N Engl J Med. 2018. 379(9):846-855.
6. Huang SY, Fan Q, Machado NK, Eloyan A, Bireley JD, Russo AW, Tobyne SM, Patel KR, Brewer K, Rapaport SF, Nummenmaa A, Witzel T, Sherman JC, Wald LL, Klawiter EC. Corpus callosum axon diameter relates to cognitive impairment in multiple sclerosis. Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 2019. 6(5):882-892.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Multiple Sclerosis Imaging Laboratory
The MS Imaging Laboratory, led by Eric Klawiter, MD, MSc, is focused on developing new imaging techniques to better understand, diagnose and treat MS.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings