Jay Vyas, MD, PhD
Jay Vyas, MD, PhD
Associate Physician in Medicine
Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-3906
About Jay Vyas, MD, PhD
As an immunologist and infectious disease specialist, I focus on basic investigations of host-pathogen interactions. I have a long-standing interest in immune response to infections. My laboratory focuses on the innate immune responses to clinically relevant fungal pathogens. We employ both cell biological and biochemical tools to understand the molecular mechanisms that govern host immunity to these microorganisms. Using mouse models with defined defects in innate immunity, we have described key mechanisms that orchestrate this immune response to fungal infections.
I also serve as the tenth Program Director of the Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Medicine Residency Program. I currently supervise 168 interns and residents. As an NIH-funded investigator with interests in basic science, I provide a unique perspective to the medical housestaff. Outstanding clinical care is fueled by basic discovery and our greatest opportunities to improve patient care comes from high-quality research.
Mass General Infectious Diseases
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Baylor College Of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Infectious Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
We wish to understand the rules that govern host defenses against invasive fungal infections and the molecular basis of recognition of pathogenic yeast by immune cells. To this end, my lab has investigated phagosome maturation within antigen presenting cells and how this process influences antigen processing and presentation. To conduct these studies, we employ advanced microscopy to visualize dynamic subcellular changes upon phagocytosis by macrophages and dendritic cells. We have developed novel tools to dissect this immune response including the development of synthetic fungal like particles, which display highly-purified carbohydrates of fungal origin that trigger inflammatory responses in innate immune cells. My collection of work has demonstrated that specific recruitment of mammalian proteins to phagosomes depends on its content and potently modulates the ensuing immune response.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings