Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General Cancer Center: Hematology Oncology
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, UCSD
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Fellowship, Dana Farber Partners Cancer Care
American Board Certifications
- Hematology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
The Sykes Lab is interested in a variety of topics, all centered around white blood cell development and how this development can be corrupted in the setting of infection, cancer or inherited disorders.
1. Acute myeloid leukemia represents a defect in white blood cell development where the white blood cells are frozen at an immature (called undifferentiated) stage of maturation. We are working to develop 'differentiation therapy' for patients with AML -- therapy designed to trick the immature leukemia cells into resuming their normal process of maturation.
2. The Barth Syndrome is a rare inherited X-linked disorder in which children do not have the enzyme tafazzin, and therefore develop both cardiomyopathy and neutropenia. We are working to understand the mechanism that links the lack of tafazzin activity to the development of neutropenia.
3. Metastatic prostate cancer almost always targets the bone and bone marrow. We are working to understand this specific relationship between prostate cancer and why it preferentially targets the bone marrow and how to stimulate the immune cells to eradicate the tumor cells.