Jason Comander, MD, PhD
Jason Comander, MD, PhD
Associate Director, Inherited Retinal Disorders Service
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass. Eye and Ear
243 Charles St.
Boston, MA 02114
- M.D., Ph.D., Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary
- Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Comander’s research interests include understanding the molecular basis of retinal degenerations, such as retinitis pigmentosa, and pursuing therapies for these disorders. He has published studies on the natural history of retinitis pigmentosa and other retinal disorders. Currently, he developing new techniques to speed characterization of potentially-disease causing DNA variants, testing gene therapy techniques in primates, and is an investigator and surgeon for a number of ongoing clinical trials for patients with inherited retinal disorders.
1. Wan A, Place E, Pierce EA, Comander J. Characterizing variants of unknown significance in rhodopsin: A functional genomics approach. Hum Mutat. 2019 08; 40(8):1127-1144.
2. Terrell D, Comander J. Current Stem-Cell Approaches for the Treatment of Inherited Retinal Degenerations. Semin Ophthalmol. 2019; 34(4):287-292.
3. Stanwyck LK, Place EM, Comander J, Huckfeldt RM, Sobrin L. Predictive value of genetic testing for inherited retinal diseases in patients with suspected atypical autoimmune retinopathy. Am J Ophthalmol Case Rep. 2019 Sep; 15:100461.
4. Lee Kim E, Weiner AJ, Ung C, Roh M, Wang J, Lee IJ, Huang NT, Stem M, Dahrouj M, Eliott D, Vavvas DG, Young LHY, Williams GA, Garretson BR, Kim IK, Hassan TS, Mukai S, Ruby AJ, Faia LJ, Capone A, Comander J, Kim LA, Wu DM, Drenser KA, Woodward MA, Wolfe JD, Yonekawa Y. Characterization of Epiretinal Proliferation in Full-Thickness Macular Holes and Effects on Surgical Outcomes. Ophthalmol Retina. 2019 Aug; 3(8):694-702.
5. Davoudi S, Sevgi DD, Yasa C, Laíns I, Ebrahimiadib N, Roohipoor R, Papavasilieou E, Comander J, Sobrin L. High Reliability of Cone Cell Measurements With Adaptive Optics Scanning Laser Ophthalmoscopy in a Simulated Real-Life Clinical Setting. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2018 04 01; 49(4):228-235.