Rachel Huckfeldt, MD, PhD
Rachel Huckfeldt, MD, PhD
Director, Inherited Retinal Degenerations Fellowship
Boston, MAPhone: 617-523-7900
About Rachel Huckfeldt, MD, PhD
Dr. Rachel Huckfeldt is a full-time member of the Inherited Retinal Disorders Service at Mass. Eye and Ear. She is a retina specialist with expertise in inherited retinal degenerations as well as conditions including age-related macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy.
Dr. Huckfeldt graduated from Washington University in St. Louis, summa cum laude, with a BA in Biology and Psychology. Subsequently, she earned her MD and PhD in Neuroscience at Washington University. Next, she completed her ophthalmology residency in Harvard Medical School’s Department of Ophthalmology. Before returning to Mass. Eye and Ear, she completed a postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Therapeutics for Inherited Retinal Diseases with Dr. Jean Bennett at the University of Pennsylvania as well as a Medical Retina Fellowship at the University of Iowa. She completed a clinical and research fellowship in inherited retinal degenerations under the guidance of Dr. Eric Pierce, supported by a Foundation Fighting Blindness Clinical/ Research Fellowship Award.
Dr. Huckfeldt has received numerous honors and awards. In particular, she was selected to attend the Heed Resident’s Retreat, later received a Heed Fellowship, and also received an Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology/National Eye Institute travel grant.
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Macular degeneration
Mass. Eye and Ear
243 Charles St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Washington University School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts Eye and Ear***
- Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye and Ear***
- Fellowship, University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - other
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- Tufts Health Plan
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Huckfeldt’s clinically-oriented research focuses on improving the care and visual outcomes of patients with inherited retinal diseases (IRDs). Her current research focuses on understanding pathways leading to retinal degeneration and improving the clinical care of patients with retinitis pigmentosa-associated cystoid macular edema. These projects have the potential to increase our understanding of RP and other inherited orphan retinal degenerations. Dr. Huckfeldt also leads Mass Eye and Ear’s participation in a number of clinical trials assessing gene therapies for the treatment of IRDs.
1. Huckfeldt RM, Vavvas DG. Progressive Maculopathy After Discontinuation of Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2019 Oct 01; 50(10):656-659.
2. Stanwyck LK, Place EM, Comander J, Huckfeldt RM, Sobrin L. Predictive value of genetic testing for inherited retinal diseases in patients with suspected atypical autoimmune retinopathy. Am J Ophthalmol Case Rep. 2019 Sep; 15:100461.
3. Gupta PR, Huckfeldt RM. Gene therapy for inherited retinal degenerations: initial successes and future challenges. J Neural Eng. 2017 10; 14(5):051002.
4. Huckfeldt RM, Comander J. Management of Cystoid Macular Edema in Retinitis Pigmentosa. Semin Ophthalmol. 2017; 32(1):43-51.
5. Ramachandran PS, Lee V, Wei Z, Song JY, Casal G, Cronin T, Willett K, Huckfeldt R, Morgan JI, Aleman TS, Maguire AM, Bennett J. Evaluation of Dose and Safety of AAV7m8 and AAV8BP2 in the Non-Human Primate Retina. Hum Gene Ther. 2017 02; 28(2):154-167.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings