Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
243 Charles Street
Boston, MA 02114 - 3002
- MD, PhD, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
- Residency, Massachusetts Eye & Ear
- Fellowship, University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Huckfeldt’s clinically-oriented research focuses on improving the care and visual outcomes of patients with inherited retinal diseases (IRDs). Her current research focuses on understanding pathways leading to retinal degeneration and improving the clinical care of patients with retinitis pigmentosa-associated cystoid macular edema. These projects have the potential to increase our understanding of RP and other inherited orphan retinal degenerations. Dr. Huckfeldt also leads Mass Eye and Ear’s participation in a number of clinical trials assessing gene therapies for the treatment of IRDs.
1. Huckfeldt RM, Vavvas DG. Progressive Maculopathy After Discontinuation of Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2019 Oct 01; 50(10):656-659.
2. Stanwyck LK, Place EM, Comander J, Huckfeldt RM, Sobrin L. Predictive value of genetic testing for inherited retinal diseases in patients with suspected atypical autoimmune retinopathy. Am J Ophthalmol Case Rep. 2019 Sep; 15:100461.
3. Gupta PR, Huckfeldt RM. Gene therapy for inherited retinal degenerations: initial successes and future challenges. J Neural Eng. 2017 10; 14(5):051002.
4. Huckfeldt RM, Comander J. Management of Cystoid Macular Edema in Retinitis Pigmentosa. Semin Ophthalmol. 2017; 32(1):43-51.
5. Ramachandran PS, Lee V, Wei Z, Song JY, Casal G, Cronin T, Willett K, Huckfeldt R, Morgan JI, Aleman TS, Maguire AM, Bennett J. Evaluation of Dose and Safety of AAV7m8 and AAV8BP2 in the Non-Human Primate Retina. Hum Gene Ther. 2017 02; 28(2):154-167.