Departments, Centers, & Programs:
15 Parkman Street
Boston, MA 02114-3117
- PhD, Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, UCLA Center for Health Sciences
- Fellowship, Yale University School of Medicine
American Board Certifications
- Neurological Surgery, American Board of Neurological Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Schweitzer's current research centers on improved surgical techniques and strategies for the implantation of stem cell derived therapies to treat Parkinson's disease. His work involves both basic scientific approaches and clinical trials.
- Schweitzer JS, Kaufman SJ, Dichter MA. Differential expression and modulation of Thy-1 on myoblast clones. Exp Cell Res, 1987, 172: 21-31.
- Schweitzer JS, Patrylo P, Dudek FE. Prolonged field bursts in the dentate gyrus: dependence on low calcium, high potassium and nonsynaptic interactions. J Neurophysiol, 1992, 68: 2016-2025.
- Patrylo PR, Schweitzer JS, Dudek FE. Potassium-dependent prolonged field bursts in the dentate gyrus: Effects of extracellular calcium and amino acid receptor antagonists. Neuroscience, 1994, 61(1):13-19.
- Schweitzer JS, Williamson A. Relationship between synaptic activity and prolonged field bursts in the rat dentate gyrus in vitro. J Neurophysiol, 1995, 74(5):1947-1952.
- Patrylo PR., Copus, AJ, Schweitzer JS and Dudek FE. Multiple-unit recordings during slow field-potential shifts in low-[Ca2+] solutions in rat hippocampal and cortical slices. Neuroscience, 1996, 74:107-118.
- Schweitzer JS, H Wang, Z.Q. Xiong, J.L. Stringer. pH sensitivity of non-synaptic field bursts in the rat dentate gyrus. J Neurophysiol. 2000, 84: 927-933.
- Gurbani S, Chayasirisobhon S, Cahan L, Choi S, Enos B, Hwang J, Lin M, Schweitzer J. Neuromodulation Therapy with Vagus Nerve Stimulation for Intractable Epilepsy: A 2-Year Efficacy Analysis Study in Patients Under 12 Years of Age. Epilepsy Research and Treatment 2016: 1-5.
- Sonntag KC, Song B, Lee N, Jung JH, Cha Y, Leblanc PR, Neff C, Carter B, Schweitzer J, Kim KS. Personalized cell therapy for Parkinson's disease: current status and future prospects. Prog Neurobiol 2018 (in press)