Departments, Centers, & Programs:
15 Parkman Street
Boston, MA 02114-3117
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- MD, Harvard University Health Services
- BA, Stanford Univ.
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
1. Current research focus is to perform genomic characterization of tumors of the central nervous system, including those affecting the spinal axis. Through collaborative efforts with MIT, he is developing methods for local delivery of targeted therapies.
- Shankar GM et al. Sporadic hemangioblastomas are characterized by cryptic VHL inactivation. Acta Neuropathol Commun. 2014 Dec 24;2:167.
- Shankar GM et al. Rapid intraoperative molecular characterization of glioma. JAMA Oncology. 2015 Aug;1(5):662-7.
- Shankar GM et al. BRAF alteration status and the histone H3F3A gene K27M mutation segregate spinal cord astrocytoma histology. Acta Neuropathol. 2015 Oct 20.
- Shankar GM et al. Germline and somatic BAP1 mutations in high-grade rhabdoid meningiomas. Neuro Oncol. 2017 Apr 1;19(4):535-545.
- Shankar GM et al. Genotype-targeted local therapy of glioma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018 Aug 6.
- Gupta M et al. A rapid genotyping panel for detection of primary central nervous system lymphoma. Blood (2021) 138(5):382-386.
2. Clinical studies to assess outcomes in spinal oncology.
- Shankar GM et al. Effect of Immunotherapy Status on Outcomes in Patients with Metastatic Melanoma to the Spine. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2016 Nov 22.
- Shankar GM et al. Systematic Review: The Role of Revision Surgery and Adjuvant Therapy following Subtotal Resection of Osteosarcoma of the Spine. J Neurosurg Spine. 2017 Apr 28:1-8.