Mass General Neurology
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, University of Mlaga-Spain
- Residency, University Hospital Spain
- Residency, University of Iowa Hospital & Clinics
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Neurology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
I am a clinician-scientist neurologist with interest in Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative dementias. My research focuses on trying to explain how the amyloid plaques and neurofibrillary tangles accumulate in the brain of Alzheimer’s disease patients and how they lead to dementia. I first approached this question by studying postmortem brain specimens from Alzheimer’s disease patients and healthy individuals under the microscope. The findings of my unbiased quantitative analyses supported an important role of glial (non-neuronal) cells, specifically astrocytes and microglial cells. These cells clearly react to plaques and tangles, but the consequences of this response remain largely unknown. Therefore, I became interested in understanding the underlying mechanisms of glial responses and their effects on Alzheimer’s disease development and progression.
- Qian J, Betensky RA, Hyman BT, Serrano-Pozo A. Association of APOE genotype with heterogeneity of cognitive decline rate in Alzheimer’s disease. Neurology 2021 (in press).
- Escartin C*, Galea E*, Lakatos A**, O’Callaghan J**, Petzold G**, Serrano-Pozo A**, et al. Reactive astrocyte nomenclature, definitions, and future directions. Nat Neurosci 2021; 24(5): 312-25.
- Noori A, Mezlini AM, Hyman BT, Serrano-Pozo A*, Das S*. Systematic review and meta-analysis of human transcriptomics reveals neuroinflammation, deficient energy metabolism, and proteostasis failure across neurodegeneration. Neurobiol Dis 2021; 149: 105225.
- Serrano-Pozo A, Das S, Hyman BT. APOE and Alzheimer’s disease: advances in genetics, pathophysiology, and therapeutic approaches. Lancet Neurol 2021; 20(1): 68-80.
- Das S*, Li Z*, Noori A, Hyman BT, Serrano-Pozo A. Meta-analysis of mouse transcriptomic studies supports a context-dependent astrocyte reaction in acute CNS injury versus neurodegeneration. J Neuroinflammation 2020; 17(1): 227.
- Gui Y, Marks JD, Das S, Hyman BT, Serrano-Pozo A. Characterization of the 18 kDa translocator protein (TSPO) in post-mortem normal and Alzheimer’s brains. Brain Pathol 2020; 30(1): 151-164.