Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General Pulmonary & Critical Care
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Critical Care Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Alba conducts basic and translational research in pulmonary vascular disease with the goal of identifying novel therapeutic targets and treatment modalities. The current work is focused on how local hypoxia results in endothelial dysfunction to affect platelet-endothelial cell interactions in the pulmonary circulation in a host of pulmonary disorders, ranging from chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension to acute respiratory distress syndrome, including COVID-19. He is a recipient of the MGH Center for Diversity and Inclusion Physician-Scientist Development Award and the Harvard KL2/Catalyst Medical Research Investigator Training Award.
- Sacks CA, Kamalian S, Masiakos PT, Alba GA, Patalas ED. Case 31-2018: A 37-Year-Old Man with a Self-Inflicted Gunshot Wound. New England Journal of Medicine. 2018 Oct 11;379(15):1464-1472.
- Samokhin AO, Stephens T, Wertheim BM, Wang RS, Vargas SO, Yung LM, Cao M, Brown M, Arons E, Dieffenbach PB, Fewell JG, Matar M, Bowman FP, Haley KJ, Alba GA, Marino SM, Kumar R, Rosas IO, Waxman AB, Oldham WM, Khanna D, Graham BB, Seo S, Gladyshev VN, Yu PB, Fredenburgh LE, Loscalzo J, Leopold JA, Maron BA. NEDD9 targets COL3A1 to promote endothelial fibrosis and pulmonary arterial hypertension. Sci Transl Med. 2018 Jun 13;10(445).
- Oldham WM, Oliveira RKF, Wang RS, Opotowsky AR, Rubins DM, Hainer J, Wertheim BM, Alba GA, Choudhary G, Tornyos A, MacRae CA, Loscalzo J, Leopold JA, Waxman AB, Olschewski H, Kovacs G, Systrom DM, Maron BA. Network Analysis to Risk Stratify Patients With Exercise Intolerance. Circulation Research. 2018; 122(6):864-876.
- Sacks CA, Alba GA, Miloslavsky EM. The Evolution of Procedural Competency in Internal Medicine Training. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2017; 177(12):1713-1714.
- Alba GA, Truong QA, Gaggin HK, Gandhi PU, De Berardinis B, Magrini L, Bajwa EK, Di Somma S, Januzzi JL Jr. Diagnostic and Prognostic Utility of Procalcitonin in Patients Presenting to the Emergency Department with Dyspnea. The American Journal of Medicine. 2016; 129(1):96-104.e7.
- Alba GA, Kelmenson DA, Noble VE, Murray AF, Currier PF. Faculty staff-guided versus self-guided ultrasound training for internal medicine residents. Medical Education. 2013; 47(11):1099-108.