Robert Nascimento, MD
Robert Nascimento, MD
Newton-Wellesley Hospital, Chief of Sports Medicine & Shoulder Surgery
Head Team Physician & Medical Director, Boston College; Team Physician: New England Patriots, Boston Renegades, Wellesley College
Instructor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Wellesley, MAPhone: 617-219-1280
Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-7500
Waltham, MAPhone: 617-726-7500
About Robert Nascimento, MD
Dr. Robert Nascimento is Chief of Sports Medicine at Newton-Wellesley Hospital and Head Team Physician for Boston College Athletics. Dr. Nascimento received his master’s of science degree in chemistry and biochemistry at the University of California Los Angeles and his medical degree from the University of Massachusetts Medical School. He went on to complete his orthopedic surgery residency training at the University of Massachusetts Medical School and his fellowship in sports medicine at Boston University.
Dr. Nascimento is Assistant Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Tufts University School of Medicine and Instructor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Harvard Medical School. He has served as Head Team Physician for several professional sports teams, and has been a team physician for Boston College Athletics since 2011. Dr. Nascimento has been Head Team Physician & Medical Director of Sports Medicine at Boston College since 2015. He is board-certified in orthopedic surgery and has a certificate of added qualification in sports medicine.
Dr. Nascimento is a member of the New England Shoulder & Elbow Society, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, and a fellow member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) Injuries
- Biceps repair
- Cartilage restoration / cartilage repair
- Clavicle fracture
- Complex knee reconstruction (ACL, PCL, LCL)
- Knee arthroscopy
- Labral injuries and shoulder instability (SLAP, Bankart)
- Meniscus tear
- Revision ACL reconstruction
- Revision shoulder reconstruction
- Rotator cuff repairs
- Shoulder arthroscopy
- Shoulder instability/dislocation/subluxation (Latarjet)
- Shoulder replacement
- Sports injuries
Sports Medicine Service at Newton-Wellesley
978 Worcester St. - Rte 9 East
Wellesley, MA 02482
Sports Medicine Service
Charles River Plaza
175 Cambridge St., 4th Floor
Boston, MA 02114
Sports Medicine at Mass General Waltham
52 Second Ave.
3rd Floor, Suite 3300
Waltham, MA 02451
- MD, University of Massachusetts Medical School
- Residency, University of Mass. Med. School
- Fellowship, Boston Medical Center
American Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Nascimento has a research interest in novel techniques to decrease patient pain and narcotic medication use follow open and arthroscopic shoulder and knee surgery. He is helping to pioneer new standards of care for addressing these issues.
Dr. Nascimento also has interest in the biomechanics of ACL tears and the post reconstructed knee, as well as optimum return to play criteria following shoulder and knee surgery.
- Nascimento RJ and Schepsis AA. Patellofemoral Disorders. In: ACSM’s Sports Medicine: A Comprehensive Review. 3rd Ed. New York: Lippicott Williams &Wilkins; Spring 2012.
- Nascimento RJ and Connolly PJ. Factors Affecting Surgical Decision-Making. In: Lin, VW, ed. Spinal Cord Medicine: Principles and Practice. 2nd Ed. New York: Demos; 2010.
- Nascimento RJ, and DeAngelis NA. Acute Knee Injuries in the Athlete. In: Busconi BD, Stevenson JH, eds. Sports Medicine Consult. Philadelphia: LLW; 2009.
- Eskander M, McPhee E, Eskander J, Nascimento RJ, McCormick J, Hao S, Shepro D, Johnson, K. A Left Knee Wound Complication by Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in Bilateral Total Knee Arthroplasties. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2008 Jan 23.
- Nascimento RJ, Varney TE, Kasparyan NG, Warhold LG. Intracortical Osteoid Osteoma of the Scaphoid. Orthopedics. 2007;30 (7):573-4.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings