Boston, MAPhone: 617-523-7900
About Courtney Ondeck, MD, MPhil
Courtney Ondeck, MD a full-time member of the Glaucoma Service who specializes in the evaluation and medical and surgical treatment of glaucoma plus cataracts. She performs both traditional glaucoma surgeries such as trabeculectomy and glaucoma tube shunts, as well as Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgeries (MIGS) and cataract surgery.
Dr. Ondeck’s has an interest of combining her background in engineering and polymer chemistry with her training in glaucoma and ophthalmology to develop drug delivery techniques or devices that could eliminate the need for daily eye drops.
Mass. Eye and Ear
243 Charles St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Washington University in St. Louis
- Residency, University of California San Diego, Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program
- Fellowship, Duke University
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - other
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- Tufts Health Plan
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Ondeck is a clinician scientist in the glaucoma department with an interest in extended drug delivery for ophthalmic applications. Glaucoma is one of the most prevalent ophthalmologic disorders and is still a common cause of vision loss. Topical medications and surgeries are currently available to manage glaucoma; however, complications can arise from surgery, and there can be issues with compliance and side effects from medications that can make these treatments less effective.
Dr. Ondeck is interested in developing an extended release delivery system of glaucoma medications. She has a background in materials science and biomedical engineering, nanotechnology and polymer chemistry and wishes to combine her background with her training in glaucoma to develop drug delivery techniques and/or devices that could eliminate the need for daily eye drops. Her goal is to develop a biocompatible device that can be impregnated with intraocular lowering medications, with the intention that it would be more effective than topical medications in the treatment of glaucoma.
1. Ondeck CL, Pretorius D, McCaulley J, Kinori M, Maloney T, Hull A, Robbins SL. Ultrasonographic prenatal imaging of fetal ocular and orbital abnormalities. Surv Ophthalmol. 2018 Nov - Dec; 63(6):745-753.
2. Kinori M, Gomi CF, Ondeck CL, Schanzlin DJ, Robbins SL, Granet DB. Usefulness of refractive measurement of wavefront autorefraction in patients with difficult retinoscopy. J AAPOS. 2016 12; 20(6):493-495.e1.
3. Studer RK, Vo N, Sowa G, Ondeck C, Kang J. Human nucleus pulposus cells react to IL-6: independent actions and amplification of response to IL-1 and TNF-a. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2011 Apr 15; 36(8):593-9.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings