Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Massachusetts Eye and Ear
243 Charles Street
Boston, MA 02114 - 3002
Mass Eye and Ear Longwood
800 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115-6303
- MD, Raymond & Ruth Perelman School of Med. at the University of Pennsylvania
- MD, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
- Fellowship, Mass Eye & Ear
- Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye & Ear
- Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye And Ear Infirmary
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Wolkow has a strong laboratory research background, with PhD training in cell and molecular biology and fellowship training in ophthalmic pathology. She combines this background with her clinical interests in ophthalmic plastic surgery to engage in research that strives to improve patient care and develop novel treatments for patients with orbital, eyelid and lacrimal diseases.
Dr. Wolkow has several current research interests and ongoing projects, including research into orbital and periorbital malignancies. Recently, she published on the expression of PD-L1 and PD-L2 in ocular adnexal sebaceous carcinoma, squamous carcinoma and adenoid cystic carcinoma. She is recognized for her expertise in the histopathology of periocular foreign materials, such as cosmetic facial fillers and orbital implants, and has several publications on the subject. Dr. Wolkow has ongoing collaborations studying the periocular microbiome and periorbital infections, and she contributes to the international thyroid eye disease biobank. She has a strong commitment to improving resident and fellow surgical training, and is invested in the continued surgical growth of established surgeons and surgical innovation. She has developed a wet lab based surgical curriculum in Oculoplastics for the Mass Eye and Ear ophthalmology residents and is evaluating its effect on resident and fellow surgical performance.
1. Wai KM, Wolkow N, Freitag SK. Orbital Fat Herniation Through the Superior Orbital Fissure in Thyroid Eye Disease. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2020 Jul 30.
2. Wolkow N, Jakobiec FA, Afrogheh AH, Pai SI, Faquin WC. High Expression of PD-L1 and PD-L2 in Ophthalmic Sebaceous Carcinoma: The Case for a Clinical Trial of Checkpoint Inhibitors. Am J Ophthalmol. 2020 Jul 27.
3. Chiou C, Wolkow N, Freitag SK. Eyelid Keratoacanthoma in an 86-Year-Old Man: Clinical and Histopathologic Features. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2020 Jul 23.
4. Zhou C, Singh A, Qian G, Wolkow N, Dohlman CH, Vavvas DG, Chodosh J, Paschalis EI. Microporous Drug Delivery System for Sustained Anti-VEGF Delivery to the Eye. Transl Vis Sci Technol. 2020 Jul; 9(8):5.
5. Wai KM, Wolkow N, Yoon MK. Displaced bone fragment simulating an orbital foreign body. Orbit. 2020 Jun 11; 1-2.