Ian D. Hutchinson, MD
Ian D. Hutchinson, MD
Sports Medicine Orthopaedic Surgeon
Member of the Faculty, Harvard Medical School
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Sports Medicine Service
Charles River Plaza
175 Cambridge St., 4th Floor
Boston, MA 02114
Sports Medicine at Mass General Waltham
52 Second Ave.
3rd Floor, Suite 3300
Waltham, MA 02451
Sports Medicine Service at Newton-Wellesley
978 Worcester St. - Rte 9 East
Wellesley, MA 02482
- MB BCH, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Residency, Albany Medical Center
- Residency, Dublin Region Basic Surgical Training Scheme
- Fellowship, Sports Medicine Institute, Hospital for Special Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Hutchinson's research interests focus on applying basic science principles to enhance regenerative surgical techniques for soft tissue injuries of the knee and shoulder. He has also led investigations on preoperative measures to decrease Cutibacterium acnes burden during shoulder replacement surgery. Finally, he is interested in the pathomechanics or injury and reinjury as they relate to athletic performance and the development of premature joint degeneration of the knee and shoulder.
See a complete list of my publications via the National Institutes of Health.
- Wang H., Fleischli JE, Hutchinson ID, Zheng N. Knee movement and shear force are correlated with femoral tunnel orientation following single bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Am J Sports Med. 2014 July 25.
- Wang H, Gee AO, Hutchinson ID, Stoner K, Warren RF, Chen TO, Maher SA. Bone Plug Versus Suture-Only Fixation of Meniscal Grafts: Effect on Joint Contact Mechanics During Simulated Gait. Am J Sports Med. 2014 Apr 28.
- Hutchinson ID, Olson J, Lindburg CA, Payne V, Collins B, Smith TL, Munley MT, Wheeler KT, Willey JS. Total-Body Irradiation Produces Late Degenerative Joint Damage in Rats. Int J Radiat Biol. 2014 Jun 2:1-35.
- Titan A, Schar M, Hutchinson I, Demange M, Chen T, Rodeo S. Growth Factor Delivery to a Cartilage-Cartilage Interface Using Platelet-Rich Concentrates on a Hyaluronic Acid Scaffold. Arthroscopy. 2020 May;36(5):1431-1440.
- Tan H, Lebaschi AH, Wang D, Hutchinson ID, Ling L, Deng X, Rodeo SA, Warren RF. Comparison of Bone Tunnel and Cortical Surface Tendon-To-Bone Healing in a Rabbit Biceps Tenodesis Model. Bone Joint Surg Am. 2018 Mar 21;100(6):479-486.
- Hutchinson ID, Rodeo SA. The Current Role of Biologics for Meniscus Injury and Treatment. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2022 Jul 26.