- Clinical Interests
- Psychological Assessment
- Neuropsychological assessment
- Medical Education
- PsyD, Nova Southeastern University
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna Behavioral Health
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Behavioral Health
- United Behavioral Health - MGH
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
Dr. Blais obtained his doctoral training at Nova Southeastern University in clinical psychology. He completed his internship and post-doctoral fellowship training at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH). Dr. Blais is Associate Chief of Psychology at MGH and Director of the Psychological Evaluation and Research Laboratory (PEaRL). The PEaRL offers comprehensives psychological and neuropsychological assessments for adults and conducts research in psychological assessment and measurement. Dr. Blais specializes in psychological and neuropsychological assessment of adults and short-term psychotherapy. He is also Director of the Adult Track of the MGH APA accredited psychology internship.
Dr. Blais' career has focused on understanding and measuring personality. He has authored or co-authored more than 75 original papers, 25 book chapters and has co-edited 2 books. Dr. Blais is an award winning teacher and mentor and in 2009 he received the Theodore Millon Award from the American Psychological Foundation for "Advancing the Science of Personality Psychology."
- Research Summary
- My research activities have been clinically focused and reflect my strong interest in personality, personality assessment and measurement. I have conducted multiple studies exploring the psychometric properties of the DSM Personality Disorders. I have studied the relationship between normal and abnormal personality traits along with the joint factor structure of personality and psychopathology. I have published extensively on the quality and utility of traditional personality assessment instruments. My research on assessment instruments has resulted in the development of model of personality functioning specifically designed to integrate psychological assessment data. More recently, I have been exploring the relationships among psychological and neuropsychological measures. I along with a group of colleagues developed the Schwartz Outcome Scale (SOS-10). The SOS-10 is a brief mental health outcome measure. The SOS-10 has been translated into Arabic, Czech, French, Italian, Spanish, and Chinese. The SOS-10 measures psychological health and well-being and has been included in wide variety of research projects.
- Baer, L. & Blais, MA., (Eds). Handbook of Clinical Rating Scales and Assessment in Psychiatry and Mental Health, Current Clinical Psychiatry Series, Jerrold F. Rosenbaum, MD, Editor, Totowa, NJ: The Humana Press, Inc (2009)
- Blais, MA., Baity, M. & Hopwood, C. (Eds). Clinical Applications of the Personality Assessment Inventory, NY: Routledge Mental Health, 2010.
- Blais, MA. The common structure of normal personality and psychopathology: preliminary exploration in a non-patient sample, Journal of Personality and Individual Differences, 2010, 48, 322-326.
- Slavin-Mulford, J.M., Hilsenroth, M.J., Blagys, M.D., & Blais, M.A. Experiences related to expert supervisor' views of ideal therapeutic practice, Counselling and Psychotherapy Research, 2010,
- Blais, MA, Jacobo, MC & Smith, SR Exploring therapeutic alliance in brief inpatient psychotherapy: A preliminary study, Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy, In Press.
One Bowdoin Square
Boston, MA 02114-2927