- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Barrett's esophagus
- Esophageal cancer
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Medical Education
- MD, UCLA School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Existing Patients
- Patient Gateway
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - ACD
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
Director of Endoscopy
Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
AB - University of California, Berkeley
MA - University of California, Berkeley
MD - Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Residency in Internal Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital
Fellowship in Gastroenterology, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Research Summary
The research interests of Dr. Nishioka are primarily focused on utilizing optical technology to improve the accuracy of gastrointestinal endoscopy procedures. Examples of these investigations include the use of low coherence optical imaging and endoscopic confocal microscopy. Dr. Nishioka has supervised undergraduate, graduate, medical and post-graduate students and research fellows. Currently he is also conducting clinical trials assessing the clinical utility of various endoscopic technologies. Dr. Nishioka has an active clinical practice in gastroenterology as a member of MGH Gastroenterology Associates. Dr. Nishioka’s clinical practice is limited to gastroenterology with a special emphasis on endoscopic procedures for the therapy of advanced Barertt’s esophagus and early esophageal adenocarcinoma. He is the Director of Endoscopy at Massachusetts General Hospital. and serves as an attending physician in the gastrointestinal endoscopy unit and on the gastroenterology consultation service.
- Kroep S, Heberle CR, Curtius K, Kong CY, Lansdorp-Vogelaar I, Ali A, Asher-Wolf A, Shaheen NJ, Spechler SJ, Rubenstein JH, Nishioka NS, Meltzer SJ, Hazelton WD, van Ballegooijen M, Tramontano AC, Gazelle GS, Luebeck EG, Inadomi JM, Hur C. Radiofrequency ablation of Barrett's esophagus reduces esophageal adenocarcinoma incidence and mortality in a comparative modeling analysis. Clin Gastro Hep. 2017;15(9):1471-74. PMID: 28089850.
- Tsai FC, Ghorbani S, Greenwald BD, Jang S, Dumont JA, McKinley MJ, Shaheen NJ, Habr F, Wolfsen HC, Abrams JA, Lightdale CJ, Nishioka NS, Jonston MH, Zfass A, Coyle WJ. Safety and efficacy of endoscopic spray cryotherapy for esophageal cancer. Dis Esophagus. 2017;30(11):1-7. PMID: 28881903.
- Chu JN, Choi J, Tramontano A, Morse C, Forcione D, Nishioka NS, Abrams JA, Rubenstein JH, Kong CY, Inadomi JM, Hur C. Surgical vs endoscopic management of T1 esophageal adenocarcinoma: a modeling decision analysis. Clin Gastro Hep. 2018;16(3): 392-400. PMID: 29079222.
- Eschenfeldt PC, Kartoun U, Heberle CR, Kong CY, Nishioka NS, Ng K, Kamarthi S, Hur C. Analysis of factors associated with extended recovery time after colonoscopy. PLoS One. 2018;13(6):e0199246. PMID: 29927978.
- Gora MJ, Quénéhervé L, Carruth RW, Lu W, Rosenberg M, Sauk JS, Fasano A, Lauwers GY, Nishioka NS, Tearney GJ. Tethered capsule endomicroscopy for microscopic imaging of the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum without sedation in humans (with video). Gastrointest Endosc. 2018; 88(5):830-840: PMID:30031805.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696