Shan Woo Liu, M.D. S.D. is an attending physician at the Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Emergency Medicine. She is an instructor in surgery at Harvard Medical School.
- Clinical Interests
- Emergency Department Crowding
- Geriatric Trauma
- Health Services and Quality of Care
- Global health
- Medical Education
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Emergency Medicine
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - ACD
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and Pediatric
- Provider Gender
Dr. Shan Woo Liu, an attending physician in the Department of Emergency Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital, received her M.D. from Harvard Medical School and her S.D. in Health Policy from Harvard School of Public Health. Dr. Liu completed her residency at Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency Program (HAEMR) at Brigham and Women's Hospital and MGH.
Dr. Liu is currently an instructor in surgery at Harvard Medical School. She has been invited to teach and speak nationally and internationally on a variety of medical topics including rural health and hospital overcrowding.
- Research Summary
- Dr. Liu serves on the Emergency Department Research Advisory Committee. She has been the P.I. of a project to determine the frequency of delays, errors, and adverse events among patients with chest pain, pneumonia, and cellulitis who are boarding in the ED. Dr. Liu continues to be interested in the causes of emergency department overcrowding and the correlation with patient morbidity and mortality.
Celebrating 200 Years: 1811 - 2011
Since 1811, people have counted on Mass General for answers, innovations and medical leadership. As our third century dawns, we remain ready to serve.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696