The Dietetic Internship is an 11-month (50 week), full-time program with an emphasis in clinical nutrition and management. The program runs from early September to mid-August and provides more than 1200 hours of supervised practice hours.
The program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), a specializing accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education and the United States Department of Education.
The internship provides the practitioner competencies for entry level dietetics practice. All program requirements must be met in order to successfully complete this program.
- Act professionally in accordance with the code of ethics for the profession of dietetics
- Meet all competencies for the program
- Complete all rotation requirements
- Complete all assignments and projects
- Pay tuition in full
- Make up any lost time due to sick days or leave of absence to meet the supervised practice hour requirements
- Complete all requirements to graduate within a total of 18 months supervised practice time
Upon successful completion of the program, dietetic interns will receive a signed Verification Statement indicating they are eligible to take the registration examination for dietitians as administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (www.cdrnet.org) and qualify for active membership in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Once they pass the exam they are eligible to apply for licensure. If they are seeking licensure in Massachusetts information can be found on the Massachusetts government website (www.mass.gov). The new RD should obtain information on licensure requirements from the state they are seeking licensure.