The Center for Gun Violence Prevention is a multidisciplinary initiative at Mass General dedicated to preventing firearm-related violence and promoting safety in the homes and communities of the patients we serve.
- Masiakos PT. “Advocating for state injury prevention laws.” Bull Am Coll Surg. Feb 2011.
- Lee J, Quraishi SA, Bhatnagar S, Zafonte RD, Masiakos PT. “The economic cost of firearm-related injuries in the United States from 2006 to 2010.” Surgery. May 2014.
- Sacks, C. A. “In Memory of Daniel—Reviving Research to Prevent Gun Violence.” NEJM. Feb 2015.
- Kaafarani HMA, Raybould T, Lee J, Masiakos PT; Trauma Injury Prevention & Outreach Program (TIPOP) team. “Injury Prevention as an Integral Part of Health System Reform Efforts: Lessons Learned from Recently Enacted Massachusetts Laws.” Health Syst Reform. May 2015.
- Sacks CA, Malina D, Morrissey S, Campion EW, Hamel MB, Drazen JM. “In the Wake of Orlando - Taking Steps against Gun Violence.” N Engl J Med. Sep 2016.
- Masiakos PT, Warshaw AL. “Stopping the Bleeding Is Not Enough.” Ann Surg. Jan 2017.
- Sacks CA. “The Role of Physicians in Preventing Firearm Suicides.” JAMA Intern Med. Jan 2017.
- Kuhls DA, Campbell BT, Burke PA, Allee L, Hink A, Letton RW, Masiakos PT, Coburn M, Alvi M, Lerer TJ, Gaines BA, Nance ML, Schuerer DJE, Palmieri TL, Davis JW, Geehan DM, Elsey JK, Sutton BH, McAndrew MP, Gross RI, Reed DN Jr, Van Boerum DH, Esposito TJ, Albrecht RM, Sarani B, Shapiro DS, Wiggins-Dohlvik K, Stewart RM; American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma. “Survey of American College of Surgeons Committee on trauma members on firearm injury: Consensus and opportunities.” J Trauma Acute Care Surg. May 2017.
- Campion EW, Morrissey S, Malina D, Sacks CA, Drazen JM. “After the Mass Shooting in Las Vegas - Finding Common Ground on Gun Control.” N Engl J Med. Oct 2017.
- Masiakos, P. T. and Griggs, C. “The Quiet Room.” NEJM. Dec 2017.
- Hill-Evans, K., Mitton, J., and Sacks, C. A. “Stop Posturing and Start Problem Solving: A Call for Research to Prevent Gun Violence.” AMA J Ethics. Jan 2018.
- Maa, J., Masiakos, P. T., Elsey, J. K., and Warshaw, A. L. “Prevent the bleed: How surgeons can lead the national conversation about firearm safety forward.” Ann Surg. Mar 2018.
- Masiakos PT, Warshaw AL. “Advocating for a Sensible Firearm Injury Prevention Plan.” Ann Surg. May 2018.
- Masiakos PT, Warshaw AL. “Addressing the Public Health Epidemic of Firearm-related Violence in America.” Ann Surg. Jul 2018.
- McLaren JR, Masiakos PT. “Doctors Need to Speak Up More.” Pediatrics. Jan 2019.
- Naureckas Li C, Sacks CA, McGregor KA, Masiakos PT, Flaherty MR. Screening for Access to Firearms by Pediatric Trainees in High-Risk Patients. Acad Pediatr. Aug 2019.
- Gondi S, Pomerantz AG, Sacks CA. “Extreme Risk Protection Orders: An Opportunity to Improve Gun Violence Prevention Training.” Acad Med. Nov 2019.
- Kuhls DA, Falcone RA Jr, Bonne S, Bulger EM, Campbell BT, Cooper Z, Dicker RA, Duncan TK, Kuncir EJ, Lamis DA, Letton RW Jr, Masiakos PT, Stewart RM, Knudson MM. “Prevention of firearm injuries: It all begins with a conversation.” J Trauma Acute Care Surg. Feb 2020.
- Hsu YT, Chang DC, Perez NP, Westfal ML, Kelleher CM, Sacks CA, Masiakos PT. “Civilian Firearm-related Injuries: How Often is a Tourniquet Beneficial?” Ann Surg. Feb 2020.
- Sacks CA, Masiakos PT. “Confronting Moral Obligations in an Active Shooter Incident: A Reminder to Focus on Prevention.” J Law Med Ethics. Jun 2020.
- Sacks CA, Bartels SJ. “Reconsidering Risks of Gun Ownership and Suicide in Unprecedented Times.” N Engl J Med. Jun 2020.
- Powell RE, Sacks CA. “A National Research Strategy to Reduce Firearm-Related Injury and Death: Recommendations from the Health Policy Research Subcommittee of the Society of General Internal Medicine (SGIM).” J Gen Intern Med. Jul 2020.
- Masiakos PT, Sacks CA. “Moving beyond descriptions-developing a strategy to prevent gun violence.” Surgery. Sep 2020.
- Naureckas Li C, Sacks CA, Cummings BM, Samuels-Kalow M, Masiakos PT, Flaherty MR. Improving Pediatric Residents' Screening for Access to Firearms in High-Risk Patients Presenting to the Emergency Department. Acad Pediatr. May-Jun 2021.
- Hsu YT, Chen YW, Chang DC, Perez NP, Westfal ML, Hung YC, Kelleher CM, Masiakos PT, Sacks CA. Annual Incidence of Hospitalization for Nonfatal Firearm-Related Injuries in New York From 2005 to 2016. JAMA Netw Open. Jul 2021.
- Naureckas Li C, Sacks CA, Masiakos PT, Flaherty MR. Updates in Firearms Access Screening. Acad Pediatr. Jan-Feb 2022.
- Rolle ML, McLellan RM, Nanda P, Patel AB, Sacks CA, Masiakos PT, Stapleton CJ. Racial and Social Determinants of Civilian Gunshot Wounds to the Head. The Neurohospitalist. March 2022.
- Rickert CG, Felopulos G, Shoults B, Hathi S, Scott-Vernaglia SE, Currier P, Masiakos PT, Sacks CA. Development and Implementation of a Novel Case-Based Gun Violence Prevention Training Program for First-Year Residents. Academic Medicine. March 2022.
There are multiple ways to reach out to the Center for Gun Violence Prevention at Mass General.