Igor Palacios, MD
Igor Palacios, MD
Director, Knight Catheterization Laboratory
Boston, MAPhone: 866-644-8910
About Igor Palacios, MD
Dr. Igor F. Palacios is a nationally and internationally recognized expert in the field of interventional cardiology. He is the Director of Interventional Cardiology.
Dr. Palacios was born in Caracas, Venezuela. After receiving a medical surgeon degree with Magna cum laude honors in 1969, from the Central University of Venezuela, Caracas. Dr. Palacios completed his initial training program at the University Hospital in Caracas, before moving to Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA, to qualify as cardiologist under Professor Edgar Haber in 1974. In 1990, he was appointed Director of the Interventional Cardiology Program of the Massachusetts General Hospital.
Dr. Palacios is an internationally recognized expert in the field of interventional cardiology and is a pioneer in the field of percutaneous interventions for structural heart disease. He is member of the editorial board of several peer-reviewed journals in Cardiology and has received several awards for distinguished service to medicine and the community in Venezuela, Latin America, and the United States. In 1999, his home country awarded him the Gran Cordon del Libertador ("grand rope of the Liberator) which is the highest honor awarded by the Republic of Venezuela.
In 1997, Dr. Palacios received the Clinician of the Year award; and has been recognized as one of the Best Doctors in the United States by Woodward/White, Inc. for over 10 years; and is included in the U.S. Registry of Who is Who of Outstanding Americans. In 1996,
Dr. Palacios is a founding member of the Latin American Society for Interventional Cardiology and has made many contributions to Latin American medicine including teaching and lecture presentations . He was also instrumental in helping to establish multi-center clinical trials focusing on interventional cardiology throughout Latin America. He has been a mentor and promoter of more than 25 cardiologists who have become leaders of interventional cardiology in several leading institutions in the USA and abroad. He has published extensively, authoring over 250 papers and 24 book chapters.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
- Coronary artery disease
- Interventional cardiology
- Percutaneous treatment of structural heart disease
- Valvular heart disease
Mass General Heart Center
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Escuela De Medicina Jose Maria Vargas
- Residency, Hospital Universidad de Caracas
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Cardiovascular Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - SSN
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
Excaliper: A resource for developing EKG-reading skills
Developed by a Mass General cardiologist, Excaliper provides case-based, interactive videos written by our team of expert cardiologist educators.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings