A new study provides reference standards for clinical evaluations.
Departments, Centers & Programs:
- BA, Harvard College
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center
Research & Publications
- Shahian DM. Commentary: Driving improvement. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020;159(5):1794-5
- Nawata K, D'Agostino RS, Habib RH, Kumamaru H, Hirahara N, Miyata H, Motomura N, Takamoto S, Shahian DM, Grover FL. First Database Comparison Between the United States and Japan: Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. Ann Thorac Surg. 2020;109(4):1159-64
- Swain JA, Rich JB, Mehaffey JH, Subramanian VA, Bilfinger TV, Shahian DM. Discussion. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020;160(2):431-2
- Shahian DM. Invited Commentary. Ann Thorac Surg. 2020;109(5):1407-8
- Shahian DM, Kozower BD, Fernandez FG, Badhwar V, O'Brien SM. The Use and Misuse of Indirectly Standardized, Risk-Adjusted Outcomes and Star Ratings. Ann Thorac Surg. 2020;109(5):1319-22
- Broderick SR, Grau-Sepulveda M, Kosinski AS, Kurlansky PA, Shahian DM, Jacobs JP, Becker S, DeCamp MM, Seder CW, Grogan EL, Brown LM, Burfeind W, Magee M, Raymond DP, Puri V, Chang AC, Kozower BD. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons Composite Score Rating for Pulmonary Resection for Lung Cancer. Ann Thorac Surg. 2020;109(3):848-55
- Shahian DM, Liu X, Mort EA, Normand ST. The association of hospital teaching intensity with 30-day postdischarge heart failure readmission and mortality rates. Health Serv Res. 2020;55(2):259-72
- Shahian D. Improving cardiac surgical quality: lessons from the Japanese experience. BMJ Qual Saf. 2020;29(7):531-5
- Klarin D, Patel VI, Zhang S, Xian Y, Kosinski A, Yerokun B, Badhwar V, Thourani VH, Sundt TM, Shahian D, Melnitchouk S. Concomitant carotid endarterectomy and cardiac surgery does not decrease postoperative stroke rates. J Vasc Surg. 2020;72(2):589-96.e3
- Mori M, Shahian DM, Huang C, Li SX, Normand ST, Geirsson A, Krumholz HM. Surgeons: Buyer beware-does "universal" risk prediction model apply to patients universally? J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020;160(1):176-9.e2
- Staff Story
- Dec | 16 | 2020
Janet Ma, MD, is a first-year fellow in the Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship Program at Massachusetts General Hospital. Dr. Ma explains what inspired her to come to Mass General, to pursue a career in medicine and her work to improve equity in health care.
- Press Release
- Nov | 16 | 2020
Short bursts of physical exercise induce changes in the body’s levels of metabolites that correlate to, and may help gauge, an individual’s cardiometabolic, cardiovascular and long-term health.
- Press Release
- Nov | 11 | 2020
New research by investigators at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) reveals considerable uncertainty in how to care for patients with a certain type of heart attack.
- Press Release
- Nov | 10 | 2020
Study reveals reveals women with premature menopause often exhibit certain blood cell changes that elevate their risk of developing coronary artery disease.
- Oct | 9 | 2020
Mass General and Newton-Wellesley Hospital staff have been working together for the past eight months to ensure a safe, efficient and thoughtful transition plan for the more than 600 anticoagulation patients who will now receive their care at the MGH AMS Clinic.