While heart disease is often thought of as mainly being influenced by lifestyle factors, genetics can play a greater role in some people.
Departments, Centers & Programs:
- BA, Harvard College
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center
Research & Publications
- Shahian DM. Commentary: Driving improvement. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020;159(5):1794-5
- Nawata K, D'Agostino RS, Habib RH, Kumamaru H, Hirahara N, Miyata H, Motomura N, Takamoto S, Shahian DM, Grover FL. First Database Comparison Between the United States and Japan: Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. Ann Thorac Surg. 2020;109(4):1159-64
- Swain JA, Rich JB, Mehaffey JH, Subramanian VA, Bilfinger TV, Shahian DM. Discussion. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020;160(2):431-2
- Shahian DM. Invited Commentary. Ann Thorac Surg. 2020;109(5):1407-8
- Shahian DM, Kozower BD, Fernandez FG, Badhwar V, O'Brien SM. The Use and Misuse of Indirectly Standardized, Risk-Adjusted Outcomes and Star Ratings. Ann Thorac Surg. 2020;109(5):1319-22
- Broderick SR, Grau-Sepulveda M, Kosinski AS, Kurlansky PA, Shahian DM, Jacobs JP, Becker S, DeCamp MM, Seder CW, Grogan EL, Brown LM, Burfeind W, Magee M, Raymond DP, Puri V, Chang AC, Kozower BD. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons Composite Score Rating for Pulmonary Resection for Lung Cancer. Ann Thorac Surg. 2020;109(3):848-55
- Shahian DM, Liu X, Mort EA, Normand ST. The association of hospital teaching intensity with 30-day postdischarge heart failure readmission and mortality rates. Health Serv Res. 2020;55(2):259-72
- Shahian D. Improving cardiac surgical quality: lessons from the Japanese experience. BMJ Qual Saf. 2020;29(7):531-5
- Klarin D, Patel VI, Zhang S, Xian Y, Kosinski A, Yerokun B, Badhwar V, Thourani VH, Sundt TM, Shahian D, Melnitchouk S. Concomitant carotid endarterectomy and cardiac surgery does not decrease postoperative stroke rates. J Vasc Surg. 2020;72(2):589-96.e3
- Mori M, Shahian DM, Huang C, Li SX, Normand ST, Geirsson A, Krumholz HM. Surgeons: Buyer beware-does "universal" risk prediction model apply to patients universally? J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020;160(1):176-9.e2
- Mar | 26 | 2021
Malissa Wood, MD, cardióloga de Mass General, afirma que el entorno, incluyendo los amigos, la familia y el lugar de trabajo, puede influir en su salud del corazón.
- Press Release
- Mar | 26 | 2021
A new study uncovers potential mechanisms that may contribute to “broken heart syndrome,” or Takotsubo syndrome (TTS), a temporary heart condition that is brought on by stressful situations and emotions.
- Feb | 18 | 2021
Christopher Learn, MD, of the Corrigan Minehan Heart Center and Department of Medicine, reviews the opportunities and challenges of adolescents and young adults transitioning to adult care providers.
- Feb | 5 | 2021
Michael Honigberg, MD, reviews the epidemiology of heart disease in women, differences in heart disease between women and men, unique sex-specific risk factors for heart disease in women and special considerations for promoting female heart health.
- Press Release
- Feb | 4 | 2021
Fine particulate air pollution stimulates production of inflammatory cells, leading to inflammation of the arteries.