In many teaching hospitals around the country, the medical resident's morning report, presented to the department chairman or to his delegate, is the intellectual highlight of the day.
Department of Medicine
Women in Medicine Trainees’ Council (WIMTC)
Women in Medicine Trainees’ Council
Explore This Initiative
Mission StatementThe Women in Medicine Trainees Council will serve as a centralized organization to bring together trainees and faculty across medical specialties in the Department of Medicine to:
- Share ideas and experiences related to gender in academia
- Foster mentor relationships
- Promote gender balance and equity across all providers
- Mitigate gender bias
- Promote activities aimed at academic and personal advancement of women in medicine
Events & InitiativesSome of the exciting events and initiatives supported by the WIMTC include:
- Mock interviews for female trainees applying to fellowships or jobs
- Sessions with female leaders from within MGH and across the country, focusing on topics such as negotiations and microaggressions
- Networking events with other departments’ Women in Medicine organizations at MGH
- Mentorship program involving female physicians of all levels within the Department of Medicine
- Designing and implementing a “Gender Bias in Medicine” curriculum within the residency program
- Improving lactation room availability and resources for physician parents
- Groundbreaking research on gender in medical training, such as the effect of “Doctor” identification badges on the mis-identification of female providers working with colleagues at Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Increasing parental leave to eight weeks of paid leave for parents of all genders
Helpful Links & Resources
The Office of Women’s Careers (OWC)The OWC is a long-established, hospital-wide group focused on gender equity, professional development, and community building among women at MGH. They publish a regular newsletter of events and hold numerous events, talks, and workshops throughout the year.
Learn more about OWC
Graduate Medical EducationOur training programs strive to be family friendly, offering paid maternity and paternity leave, lactation rooms, and a variety of childcare resources.
Learn more about Graduate Medical Education
Trainee Well-being CouncilPartners Healthcare GME formed a trainee well-being council to focus on the needs of trainees. Several resources such as easy access to mental health care are available to all Partners trainees; more information can be found at the well-being website.
Learn more about the Trainee Well-being Council
Contact InformationFeel free to reach out to us with any questions!
- Nov | 27 | 2019
Episode #22 of the Charged podcast
- Nov | 13 | 2019
Episode #31 of the Charged podcast
- Nov | 8 | 2019
"When we focus on peace and justice, we cannot just focus on the end of wars and the putting down of arms,” said Leymah Gbowee, the 2011 Nobel Peace Prize recipient, who spoke at the Sept. 26 Department of Medicine Grand Rounds.
- Nov | 4 | 2019
The Mass General Diabetes Center and AllWays Health Partners are pleased to announce an exciting new program, the PATH TO LIFESTYLE CHANGE.
- Press Release
- Oct | 16 | 2019
Linemen's rapid weight gain can lead to hardening of heart, arteries, but problems may be offset with increased aerobic training