Winfred W. Williams, MD, has been named a deputy editor of The New England Journal of Medicine. Williams, who is associate chief of the Division of Nephrology, becomes the first African American to serve in that role.
Explore This Research Lab
OverviewHepatorenal syndrome is complicated disease that results from a number of factors related to kidney and liver health. As a clinical and translational researcher, I work to understand current treatments for patients with this disease through two main pathways. First, we perform large epidemiologic analyses to optimize current therapies (such as vasoconstrictive medications, dialysis, or transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt [TIPS] placement). Second, we are exploring new mechanisms and treatments for hepatorenal syndrome by examining regulators of vascular inflammation and endothelial cell dysfunction (such as Angiopoietin/Tie2 signaling). We have a growing biorepository of blood and urine samples of patients with hepatorenal syndrome that we use to improve testing and treatment of this population. We have ongoing collaborations between research centers in Nephrology and Hepatology at MGH, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and the Liver Unit at the University of Barcelona.
- Allegretti AS, Ortiz G, Cui J, Wenger J, Bhan I, Chung RT, Thadhani RI, Irani Z. Changes in Kidney Function After Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunts Versus Large-Volume Paracentesis in Cirrhosis: A Matched Cohort Analysis. American Journal of Kidney Diseases. 2016; 68: 381-91.
- Allegretti AS, Vela Parada X, Eneanya ND, Gilligan H, Xu D, Zhao S, Dienstag JL, Chung RT, Thadhani RI. Prognosis of patients with cirrhosis and acute kidney injury who initiate renal replacement therapy. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2018; 13(1):16-25.
- Allegretti AS, Vela Parada X, Ortiz GA, Long J, Krinsky S, Zhao S, Fuchs BC, Sojoodi, M, Zhang D, Karumanchi SA, Kalim S, Nigwekar SU, Thadhani RI, Parikh SM, Chung RT. Serum Angiopoietin-2 Predicts Mortality and Kidney Outcomes in Decompensated Cirrhosis. Hepatology. 2019; 69(2):729-741.
- Director of Critical Care Nephrology - Department of Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Medicine - Harvard Medical School
- Press Release
- Sep | 2 | 2020
Mass General study demonstrates that kidneys infected with hepatitis C can be safely transplanted into healthy recipients
Mass General study demonstrates that kidneys infected with hepatitis C can be safely transplanted into healthy recipients.
- Jul | 22 | 2020
In this roundup, scientists and researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital answer your most frequently asked questions on COVID-19, vaccines, clinical trials and testing.
- Jun | 23 | 2020
Given the worldwide demand for vaccines to stop the spread of COVID-19, experts believe it will be important to move as many promising candidates forward as possible.
- Press Release
- Jun | 9 | 2020
A drug already in use for several cancers was found effective in a study of leptomeningeal dissemination of cancer.
- Press Release
- Jun | 2 | 2020
A team led by investigators at Mass General and the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard recently found that applying “polygenic risk scores” can identify at-risk patients who are not presently identified through standard clinical evaluations.
About the Nephrology Division
The Division of Nephrology at Massachusetts General Hospital is a leading provider of services for patients with kidney disease, including diagnosis and management of kidney diseases and medical management of renal transplantation.