A new health and economic model clearly shows why it’s imperative that food manufacturers reduce the amount of added sugar in their products.
Department of Medicine
Kalim Lab: Sahir Kalim, MD, MMSc
Explore This Research Lab
My research focuses on understanding the fundamental causes of the excess morbidity and mortality seen in patients with chronic and end-stage kidney disease in an effort to develop new targeted therapies. We have linked a protein modification known as carbamylation to several adverse outcomes such as resistance to erythropoietin and mortality in patients with kidney disease. Similarly, using high throughput screening, we have identified a number of novel metabolite derangements associated with cardiovascular disease in dialysis patients. We are now studying ways to correct these metabolic disturbances and determine, through clinical trials, if doing so results in improved patient outcomes.
- Berg AH, Drechsler C, Wenger J, Buccafusca R, Hod T, Kalim S, Ramma W, Parikh SM, Friedman DJ, Danziger J, Wanner C, Thadhani R, Karumanchi SA. Carbamylation of Serum Albumin as a Risk Factor for Mortality in Patients with Kidney Failure. Science Transl Med. 2013; 5(175):175ra29. PMID: 23467560. PMCID: PMC3697767.
- Kalim S, Tamez H, Wenger JW, Ankers E, Trottier CA, Deferio JJ, Berg AH, Karumanchi SA, Thadhani R. Carbamylation of Serum Albumin and Erythropoietin Resistance in End Stage Kidney Disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013; 8(11):1927-34. PMID: 23970130. PMCID: PMC3817911.
- Kalim S, Clish CB, Wenger J, Elmariah S, Yeh RW, Deferio JJ, Pierce K, Deik A, Gerszten RE, Thadhani R, Rhee EP. A plasma long-chain acylcarnitine predicts cardiovascular mortality in incident dialysis patients. J Am Heart Assoc. 2013; 2(6):e000542. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.113.000542. PMID: 24308938. PMCID: PMC3886735.
- Kalim S, Thadhani R, Karumanchi SA, Berg AH. Protein carbamylation in kidney disease: pathogenesis and clinical implications. Am J Kidney Dis. 2014. PMID: 25037561.
- Drechsler C, Kalim S, Wenger JB, Suntharalingam P, Hod T, Thadhani RI, Karumanchi SA, Wanner C, Berg AH. Protein carbamylation is associated with heart failure and mortality in diabetic patients with end-stage renal disease. Kidney Int. 2015. PMID: 25671766 PMCID: PMC4449819
- Kalim S, Ortiz G, Trottier CA, Deferio JJ, Karumanchi SA, Thadhani RI, Berg AH. The Effects of Parenteral Amino Acid Therapy on Protein Carbamylation in Maintenance Hemodialysis Patients. J Ren Nutr. 2015. PMID: 25753604 PMCID: PMC4469570.
- Kalim S, Clish CB, Deferio JJ, Ortiz G, Moffet AS, Gerszten RE, Thadhani R, Rhee EP. Cross-sectional examination of metabolites and metabolic phenotypes in uremia. BMC Nephrology. 2015;16(1):98. PMID: 26149577.
- Department of Medicine
- Aug | 13 | 2021
In this interview, Kerry Reynolds, MD chats with Meghan Sise, MD, director of onconephrology at Mass General Hospital, to learn more about how immune checkpoint inhibitor (ICI) therapy affects kidney function.
- Press Release
- Jul | 8 | 2021
Las puntuaciones de riesgo genético podrían mejorar la identificación clínica de los pacientes con mayor riesgo de infarto
Un equipo descubrió recientemente que la aplicación de la PRS puede identificar a los pacientes de riesgo que actualmente no se identifican mediante las evaluaciones clínicas estándar.
- Press Release
- Jun | 7 | 2021
Automated emails and letters that provide personalized feedback related to cafeteria purchases at work may help employees make healthier food choices.
- Staff Story
- Nov | 17 | 2020
Winfred W. Williams, MD, has been named a deputy editor of The New England Journal of Medicine. Williams, who is associate chief of the Division of Nephrology, becomes the first African American to serve in that role.
- Press Release
- Sep | 2 | 2020
Mass General study demonstrates that kidneys infected with hepatitis C can be safely transplanted into healthy recipients
Mass General study demonstrates that kidneys infected with hepatitis C can be safely transplanted into healthy recipients.
About the Nephrology Division
The Division of Nephrology at Massachusetts General Hospital is a leading provider of services for patients with kidney disease, including diagnosis and management of kidney diseases and medical management of renal transplantation.