Arabs represent about 5% of the world population and are massively underrepresented in genomic studies worldwide, yet minimal efforts have been made to date to understand clinical utility of polygenic scores in this group.
Department of Medicine
Kalim Lab: Sahir Kalim, MD, MMSc
Explore This Research Lab
My research focuses on understanding the fundamental causes of the excess morbidity and mortality seen in patients with chronic and end-stage kidney disease in an effort to develop new targeted therapies. We have linked a protein modification known as carbamylation to several adverse outcomes such as resistance to erythropoietin and mortality in patients with kidney disease. Similarly, using high throughput screening, we have identified a number of novel metabolite derangements associated with cardiovascular disease in dialysis patients. We are now studying ways to correct these metabolic disturbances and determine, through clinical trials, if doing so results in improved patient outcomes.
- Berg AH, Drechsler C, Wenger J, Buccafusca R, Hod T, Kalim S, Ramma W, Parikh SM, Friedman DJ, Danziger J, Wanner C, Thadhani R, Karumanchi SA. Carbamylation of Serum Albumin as a Risk Factor for Mortality in Patients with Kidney Failure. Science Transl Med. 2013; 5(175):175ra29. PMID: 23467560. PMCID: PMC3697767.
- Kalim S, Tamez H, Wenger JW, Ankers E, Trottier CA, Deferio JJ, Berg AH, Karumanchi SA, Thadhani R. Carbamylation of Serum Albumin and Erythropoietin Resistance in End Stage Kidney Disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013; 8(11):1927-34. PMID: 23970130. PMCID: PMC3817911.
- Kalim S, Clish CB, Wenger J, Elmariah S, Yeh RW, Deferio JJ, Pierce K, Deik A, Gerszten RE, Thadhani R, Rhee EP. A plasma long-chain acylcarnitine predicts cardiovascular mortality in incident dialysis patients. J Am Heart Assoc. 2013; 2(6):e000542. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.113.000542. PMID: 24308938. PMCID: PMC3886735.
- Kalim S, Thadhani R, Karumanchi SA, Berg AH. Protein carbamylation in kidney disease: pathogenesis and clinical implications. Am J Kidney Dis. 2014. PMID: 25037561.
- Drechsler C, Kalim S, Wenger JB, Suntharalingam P, Hod T, Thadhani RI, Karumanchi SA, Wanner C, Berg AH. Protein carbamylation is associated with heart failure and mortality in diabetic patients with end-stage renal disease. Kidney Int. 2015. PMID: 25671766 PMCID: PMC4449819
- Kalim S, Ortiz G, Trottier CA, Deferio JJ, Karumanchi SA, Thadhani RI, Berg AH. The Effects of Parenteral Amino Acid Therapy on Protein Carbamylation in Maintenance Hemodialysis Patients. J Ren Nutr. 2015. PMID: 25753604 PMCID: PMC4469570.
- Kalim S, Clish CB, Deferio JJ, Ortiz G, Moffet AS, Gerszten RE, Thadhani R, Rhee EP. Cross-sectional examination of metabolites and metabolic phenotypes in uremia. BMC Nephrology. 2015;16(1):98. PMID: 26149577.
- Department of Medicine
Related News and Articles
- Oct | 16 | 2023
Florez now oversees the largest clinical and research department at Mass General, with 10 clinical divisions, seven research centers/units, and 19 training programs comprising over 1,000 faculty members, 900 trainees and 100 medical practices.
- Oct | 10 | 2023
Research Spotlight: Addressing Crucial Concepts of Mucosal Immunology to Learn More About the Causes of Male Infertility
Maria Agustina Battistone, PhD, is the senior author of a new study published in PNAS, Regulatory T cells play a crucial role in maintaining sperm tolerance and male fertility.
- Sep | 20 | 2023
Research Spotlight: Population Health Impact, Cost-Effectiveness, and Affordability of Community-Based HIV Treatment and Monitoring in South Africa: A Health Economics Modelling Study
A modeling study projects that by 2060, community-based HIV treatment and monitoring averts 28% of HIV-related deaths and 28% of new infections.
- Press Release
- Aug | 7 | 2023
Method will help clinicians monitor and treat critically ill patients.
- Jun | 26 | 2023
The results of a recent clinical trial are sufficient to endorse the use of steroids in addition to antibiotics in cases of severe community acquired pneumonia.
About the Nephrology Division
The Division of Nephrology at Massachusetts General Hospital is a leading provider of services for patients with kidney disease, including diagnosis and management of kidney diseases and medical management of renal transplantation.