In this roundup, scientists and researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital answer your most frequently asked questions on COVID-19, vaccines, clinical trials and testing.
Department of Medicine
Kalim Lab: Sahir Kalim, MD, MMSc
Explore This Research Lab
My research focuses on understanding the fundamental causes of the excess morbidity and mortality seen in patients with chronic and end-stage kidney disease in an effort to develop new targeted therapies. We have linked a protein modification known as carbamylation to several adverse outcomes such as resistance to erythropoietin and mortality in patients with kidney disease. Similarly, using high throughput screening, we have identified a number of novel metabolite derangements associated with cardiovascular disease in dialysis patients. We are now studying ways to correct these metabolic disturbances and determine, through clinical trials, if doing so results in improved patient outcomes.
- Berg AH, Drechsler C, Wenger J, Buccafusca R, Hod T, Kalim S, Ramma W, Parikh SM, Friedman DJ, Danziger J, Wanner C, Thadhani R, Karumanchi SA. Carbamylation of Serum Albumin as a Risk Factor for Mortality in Patients with Kidney Failure. Science Transl Med. 2013; 5(175):175ra29. PMID: 23467560. PMCID: PMC3697767.
- Kalim S, Tamez H, Wenger JW, Ankers E, Trottier CA, Deferio JJ, Berg AH, Karumanchi SA, Thadhani R. Carbamylation of Serum Albumin and Erythropoietin Resistance in End Stage Kidney Disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013; 8(11):1927-34. PMID: 23970130. PMCID: PMC3817911.
- Kalim S, Clish CB, Wenger J, Elmariah S, Yeh RW, Deferio JJ, Pierce K, Deik A, Gerszten RE, Thadhani R, Rhee EP. A plasma long-chain acylcarnitine predicts cardiovascular mortality in incident dialysis patients. J Am Heart Assoc. 2013; 2(6):e000542. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.113.000542. PMID: 24308938. PMCID: PMC3886735.
- Kalim S, Thadhani R, Karumanchi SA, Berg AH. Protein carbamylation in kidney disease: pathogenesis and clinical implications. Am J Kidney Dis. 2014. PMID: 25037561.
- Drechsler C, Kalim S, Wenger JB, Suntharalingam P, Hod T, Thadhani RI, Karumanchi SA, Wanner C, Berg AH. Protein carbamylation is associated with heart failure and mortality in diabetic patients with end-stage renal disease. Kidney Int. 2015. PMID: 25671766 PMCID: PMC4449819
- Kalim S, Ortiz G, Trottier CA, Deferio JJ, Karumanchi SA, Thadhani RI, Berg AH. The Effects of Parenteral Amino Acid Therapy on Protein Carbamylation in Maintenance Hemodialysis Patients. J Ren Nutr. 2015. PMID: 25753604 PMCID: PMC4469570.
- Kalim S, Clish CB, Deferio JJ, Ortiz G, Moffet AS, Gerszten RE, Thadhani R, Rhee EP. Cross-sectional examination of metabolites and metabolic phenotypes in uremia. BMC Nephrology. 2015;16(1):98. PMID: 26149577.
- Department of Medicine
- Jun | 23 | 2020
Given the worldwide demand for vaccines to stop the spread of COVID-19, experts believe it will be important to move as many promising candidates forward as possible.
- Press Release
- Jun | 9 | 2020
A drug already in use for several cancers was found effective in a study of leptomeningeal dissemination of cancer.
- Press Release
- Jun | 2 | 2020
A team led by investigators at Mass General and the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard recently found that applying “polygenic risk scores” can identify at-risk patients who are not presently identified through standard clinical evaluations.
- Press Release
- May | 15 | 2020
A team led by researchers from Mass General has uncovered key molecular step stones in alcohol-related liver disease that may provide targets for drug therapy development.
- May | 12 | 2020
Neutralizando los anticuerpos específicos del SARS-CoV-2 y las células T específicas del virus detectadas en personas que se recuperan del COVID-19
El más reciente estudio sobre la inmunidad protectora en pacientes que se recuperan del COVID-19, publicado en Immunity, es el más completo hasta ahora. Sus prometedores resultados son discutidos por Tiara Calhoun, MD, y Vladimir Vinarsky, MD, con la asesoría de Rod Rahimi, MD, PhD.
About the Nephrology Division
The Division of Nephrology at Massachusetts General Hospital is a leading provider of services for patients with kidney disease, including diagnosis and management of kidney diseases and medical management of renal transplantation.