Department of Nutrition and Food Services
Registered dietitians work with many clinical areas and departments to ensure the Mass General community is equipped with the best nutritional care available. Our culinary experts provide more than 23,000 carefully prepared meals and snacks to patients, visitors and staff every day.
The Department of Nutrition and Food Services provides outpatient nutrition services on the hospital’s main campus as well as through Mass General’s community locations.
Nutrition experts from the Department of Nutrition and Food Services aid the general public with management of specific dietary needs in many different areas, including cardiac care, diabetes and childhood and adult obesity.
They also provide nutritional care and advice about lifestyle maintenance and good nutrition, often through classes available on the hospital’s main campus and at community health centers. Nutrition topics include:
- Eating well when dining out
- Planning healthy meals at home
- Feeding people at home with different nutritional needs
- Heart-healthy eating
Members of the community can access these outpatient services by contacting the Department of Nutrition and Food Services at 617-726-2779. In some cases, a referral from a primary care physician or specialist is necessary, and health insurance will often cover the costs of these services.
Good nutrition is a key component of recovering from surgery or illness. The Department of Nutrition and Food Services provides nutrition care, advice and education to patients while they are in the hospital and after they are discharged.
Our services are provided by a variety of staff:
- Registered dietitians work with the patient’s medical team, providing valuable information regarding appropriate nutrition care. They may also educate patients on nutrient modifications prescribed by the patient’s physician
- Nutrition and food service staff help patients select their daily menus and deliver meals to the bedside
- Our executive chef and his team work daily to prepare tasty, healthy, appealing foods
Retail Food Services
The Department of Nutrition and Food Services also manages unique retail food operations on Mass General’s main campus and in some satellite buildings, ensuring there are healthy, delicious and nutritious food options available at Mass General at any time of day.