The Patient and Family Advisory Councils (PFACs) at Massachusetts General Hospital are essential to the development and improvement of the patient experience at Mass General.
PFACs are committees made up of patients and family members. These committees serve as sounding boards for many Mass General initiatives, and they ensure that new projects have the patient experience in mind. PFACs:
- Integrate, elevate and promote the patient and family voice in the development of programs, services and initiatives
- Bring together patients, family members, clinicians and staff to enhance experiences
- Participate in hospital committees and provide feedback in many additional ways
- Review Patient Experience Award nominations and select staff recipients annually in three categories: individuals, leaders and departments/teams/programs
There are seven active PFACs across Mass General:
- General PFAC
- Pediatric Oncology
- Cancer Center
- Heart Center
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Ambulatory Practice of the Future
In the words of some of our members:
- "I’ve had the—I’ll call it a privilege—to be involved in some pretty high-end meetings on topics that normally a person not trained in the world of medicine would not be in, but my only role, my only expertise, was the voice of the patient."
- "When I was in a room with people who are running that department, they took me seriously. They listened to what I had to say in terms of representing myself as a person, as a patient and, then, representing other patients. It felt amazing to be able to have that voice...I think it speaks volumes to the culture that has been created here."
- "We’ve done a lot of stuff together on the PFAC there. We have lots of discussions about the littlest detail, from the parking garage attendance to the receptionists, to the ambassadors, to the patient’s bill of health, to the caregivers. And I think it all makes a difference. Every one of those things makes your experience here either great or not-great."
- "We are 26 active members, 15 alumni members and six staff members, working to deliver our mission: (to) ensure the voices of patients and families are represented."
- "[PFAC has] been wonderful, and it has provided so many different opportunities for me as a patient to assist me in my journey into coming to terms with my disease."
Information for patients/family members interested in becoming an advisor
PFAC annual reports
Mass General Patient Experience
The Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems Hospital Survey (HCAHPS) provides insights into what inpatients discharged from Mass General are saying about their experience.