Massachusetts General Hospital accepts international medical school graduate applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service.
The Surgical Residency Program at Massachusetts General Hospital accepts graduates of international medical schools into our program. Below are the current requirements for international medical school graduates who are interested in applying:
- We accept applications only through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) online service
- As part of the online ERAS application, you'll need to submit:
- Three (3) letters of reference, one from a current supervisor
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation letter (MSPE), or the equivalent (the MSPE was formerly called a Dean's letter)
- Personal statement (500-word maximum)
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- You must be Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)-eligible in order to apply to the program. ECFMG certification requires the passing of the USMLE Step 1, USMLE Step 2 CK. We don't have a minimum score requirement for the USMLE exams. Please visit the ECFMG's website for information about applying for certification. You must have your ECFMG certificate in time to get licensed for the start of intern year
- For the 2022 cycle, our program will require all applicants to complete a supplemental application, offered through the ERAS as well as the MyERAS application. This additional information will help us learn more about your unique medical education journey (i.e., your work, volunteer and research experiences) and help us better identify applicants who fit our program’s environment and mission. This supplemental ERAS application will be delivered on a survey platform outside the MyERAS application and must be completed between September 1-30, 2021
- The date of graduation from medical school can be no more than two years prior to the date of application to the residency program
- We do not require that you have United States clinical experience in order to apply, although it is highly recommended, and your application will receive greater consideration if you have had clinical experience in a United States hospital
- We only sponsor J-1 visas for preliminary positions
Please note that no exceptions to these requirements will be made.
The Mass General Surgery Residency Program is committed to increasing the diversity within the program. We encourage all individuals to apply, especially those who are underrepresented in medicine. We review all applications holistically, and standardized test scores are a nominal consideration in our selection process.
2021-22 Virtual Interview Dates for Categorical Positions
ERAS opens on September 1, 2021. Our application deadline is October 1, 2021.
- Friday, November 19, 2021
- Friday, December 10, 2021
- Friday, January 7, 2022
Barbara Wolf, senior program manager
General Surgery Residency Program
55 Fruit Street, GRB-425
Boston, MA 02114
Information on Clinical Clerkships and Sub-Is
In order to arrange a surgical rotation here at Mass General, you must apply through Harvard Medical School's Exchange Clerkship Program for Visiting Medical Students.